Search the forum,

Discuss Fireplace advice in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Reaction score
Been asked to do a fireplace with porcelain tiles, these tiles will go right back under the chimney area, and will have a working fire basket on it. Just wondering if this was ok, and if so would i be alright using keraquick and ultracolour plus grout. Any advice will be appreciated.

M

Matt

That Adhesive and Grout should be fine. I would be worried about using a glazed product though (Assuming it is a glazed porcelain you are talking about)

D

doug boardley

bearing in mind they'll have been fired at about 1200 dgs centigrade, I think they should be ok

S

Stan001

Be very careful! … The dimensions of your hearth are covered by law under Part J of the building regs. This basically tells you the dimensions of your hearth from your appliance to any combustible materials (ie skirting boards and carpet.) Plus the definition of the edges. A HETAS registered engineer could turn up and make you / the owner rip your hearth out if its not to spec. Its explained really clearly in Part J which you can get from here …. http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/uploads/br/BR_PDF_ADJ_2002.pdf

speak to a local solid fuel / stoves retailer ref if you need to use fire cement, you'd have to explain to them your appliance / fire dogs / fire basket etc. what is the material under the hearth? (wood / concrete ?) you defo need to know - read Part J thoroughly before taking the job. IMHO if its wood under then I'd fit stone slab to be safe (I can post a picture to explain if required)

M

Matt

bearing in mind they'll have been fired at about 1200 dgs centigrade, I think they should be ok
I have had customers that have had glazed porcelain crack when a hot coal has dropped on them. Just speaking from experience. Which I am sure you have much more of than me :lol:

Reaction score
Be very careful! … The dimensions of your hearth are covered by law under Part J of the building regs. This basically tells you the dimensions of your hearth from your appliance to any combustible materials (ie skirting boards and carpet.) Plus the definition of the edges. A HETAS registered engineer could turn up and make you / the owner rip your hearth out if its not to spec. Its explained really clearly in Part J which you can get from here …. http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/uploads/br/BR_PDF_ADJ_2002.pdf

Just had a quick look through this stan, and it seems to be about gas appliances, not real fires,but i will check with a local shop that supplies real fires and wood burners ect.

Reply to Fireplace advice in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I've laid some Arditex NA over the kitchen floor area (not under cabinets. The area is...
Replies
Views
Hi, I‘ve just finished tiling the majority of my garden path. Base is concrete, and tiles are...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm new to the forum and fairly new to tiling, my only previous "proper" job was my recent...
Replies
Views
Hello there, Relatively recently we had a new en-suite fitted (complete rip out of the old...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen