Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss External tiling in January! in the Australia area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Rich Midge

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
Evening! Ideas please. My brother owns a sea front hotel in N Wales. He closes for approx 14 days from Jan 2nd in which time we carry out refurb work. This years tasks include tiling the front entrance ramp, I've not measured but it's 30 to 40 mtrs. The problems are obvious, it's an exposed site and its January so temperatures are going to drop below the 5° threshold. Other than maybe warm water mixes, lots of tarpaulins and maybe some kingspan or similar to try and protect it has anyone got any ideas. Unfortunately, moving the job until later in the year isn't an option. Cheers, Rich.

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Why not a scaffold over it with tarpaulins,closed at either end . Only cost a few hundred quid

I

Ian

You just need to make sure you keep the frost away from it. It's not an ideal situation but, if it needs doing in Jan, then you'll have to find a way of covering it up overnight.

Rich Midge

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
Hi mate, covering it is not a problem I'm pretty sure I can keep it dry. Biggest concern is over night temperatures. Any problems that may arise I can't see me getting any backing from the adhesive guys. I'll be using Tilemaster gear so maybe contacting them directly is the way to go. If it was anyone but family I'd walk away saying see you in spring!

Rich Midge

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
Thanks gents, basically, unless I can find a magic wand we're talking blankets and crossing of fingers. It'll be just my luck I'll make it so snug and watertight we'll have people squatting.

J

Just Rizzle

create a polly tunnel over the work and then keep it warm with a hot air gas heater may be an idea?
years ago we did an open area late in te year we covered it in bails of straw excelent insulator ifyou know a friendly farmer?

afright

TF
Reaction score
I have done a few floors outside in the winter mainly porches,warm water mixes will not be any good ,and another thing to watch out for is the temp of the substrate you are fixing to,I have used rapid and it has took well over 8 hours to set,and this can not be any good for the integraty of the adhesive.

D

Dougs Third Go

I have done a few floors outside in the winter mainly porches,warm water mixes will not be any good ,and another thing to watch out for is the temp of the substrate you are fixing to,I have used rapid and it has took well over 8 hours to set,and this can not be any good for the integraty of the adhesive.
my thoughts exactly. Not a job I'd take on, family or not, at this time of year.

andyb1

TF
Arms
Reaction score
As above on this one i would leave it, i have some outside work to do about 80mt, the customer wanted it done i told them no way.

Rich Midge

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
Putting the job off till the spring is the obvious solution but unfortunately impossible. I've been the last 15 years working on his hotel. They run at 96% occupancy and only close for 14 days in January. Likewise, ordinarily I wouldn't touch it this time of year but really have no choice. If anything at least it'll provide a good freeze/thaw test!

Sean Kelly

TF
Arms
Reaction score
A few years ago I tiled a penthouse patio in London. It took days for the adhesive to set. I was using Toppfix 2 part.

a couple of years ago I tiled a room in a very cold house. The tiles next to the radiator set very quick. The tiles next to the patio doors were still moving 24 hours later.

If you go ahead and tile in those conditions then you are asking for problems and headaches. Unless of course we have a change in our British weather system!

OK, I know you wanted ideas, but we don't know what the ramp looks like. Is there another way of getting to reception?

Dave

TF
Staff member
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
It's not just how long it will take to chemically hydrate , it is also the time to achieve tensile strength , that's what will hold up against freeze/thaw.. Not an overnight setting against possible frost.. It will be weeks.

good luck . :)

Rich Midge

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
It's only me brother........considerably better off than me........maybe I'll get him to sign a disclaimer and agree an ongoing maintenance contract....(said with tongue firmly in cheek for those that might jump down my throat)......tho a disclaimer?.......;-)

Reply to External tiling in January! in the Australia area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
laattaana
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks