Search the forum,

Discuss External tiling in January! in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

andyb1

TF
Arms
Reaction score
As above on this one i would leave it, i have some outside work to do about 80mt, the customer wanted it done i told them no way.

Rich Midge

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
Putting the job off till the spring is the obvious solution but unfortunately impossible. I've been the last 15 years working on his hotel. They run at 96% occupancy and only close for 14 days in January. Likewise, ordinarily I wouldn't touch it this time of year but really have no choice. If anything at least it'll provide a good freeze/thaw test!

Sean Kelly

TF
Arms
Reaction score
A few years ago I tiled a penthouse patio in London. It took days for the adhesive to set. I was using Toppfix 2 part.

a couple of years ago I tiled a room in a very cold house. The tiles next to the radiator set very quick. The tiles next to the patio doors were still moving 24 hours later.

If you go ahead and tile in those conditions then you are asking for problems and headaches. Unless of course we have a change in our British weather system!

OK, I know you wanted ideas, but we don't know what the ramp looks like. Is there another way of getting to reception?

Dave

TF
Staff member
Esteemed
Arms
Subscribed
Reaction score
It's not just how long it will take to chemically hydrate , it is also the time to achieve tensile strength , that's what will hold up against freeze/thaw.. Not an overnight setting against possible frost.. It will be weeks.

good luck . :)

Rich Midge

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
It's only me brother........considerably better off than me........maybe I'll get him to sign a disclaimer and agree an ongoing maintenance contract....(said with tongue firmly in cheek for those that might jump down my throat)......tho a disclaimer?.......;-)

T

Taylormade

It's an interesting challenge just a thought reflective insulation over a UFH electric mat to reflect the heat into the substate?
Let us know how you get on. Like most I would say no but accept you can't do that.

Reply to External tiling in January! in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen