Search the forum,

Discuss Estimates - or - Quotes? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Element

TF
Reaction score
I'm finally getting around to getting my little one man band business up and running and have a question for you...

I regularly see other tradesmen advertising in the local media and saying things like 'free no obligation estimates'... (surely all estimates would be free anyway...?) I don't often see the word 'Quote'...

I believe a quote is where some says 'it'll cost you this much, only' no more; and that an estimate is just that - a quote potentially made of rubber that can maybe stretch somewhat depending on circumstances... so it's kind of like a rough idea of what it'll cost...

Is that right?

Those of you that do advertise; do you give quotes or estimates - and if one or the other - why?

I'm about to place my first ever advert and want to get the wording right... I am perfectly happy to use the word 'quote' instead of estimate - in the sense that I believe I can sum up a job and give a fixed price; I'm thinking that potential customers would feel a little more secure and have more confidence in you if you use the word quote instead of estimate... What do you all think?

S

Stewart

You've got it about right there.... I give quote with a full schedule of works no matter how small the job. If there is something in there that could change , such as hidden water damage. I quote this on the quote as "assessed on inspection".

B

bootsmckiber

It's always hard to put a direct figure on a "quote"as in the tiling industry there are so many variables,You don't want to give a "quote" then once you're in find a hairline crack in the foundation that is going to take time and money to fix,your time and your money as you've already quoted a client a price.What I've done in the past is give a quote and add 10% for any unforseeable circumstances or extra product needed,always assuring the client that this is only to be used if needed,and reciepts would be produced upon completion of job,or arrange for the client to okay any extras before your drive ahead digging into your own pockets and end up working for nothing.If it's a big job i.e.a condo or commercial building that will take up your time to figure things out,charge a flat rate so again your day is not a total wash should buddy go with the lowest quote of the three guys he just had in before you,hope this helps,good luck,tilings an expensive game,be careful,play by the rules.

Reaction score
hi
i always give estimates especially if your going to prep jobs aswell, if your stripping out a bathroom and taking off the existing tiles then you dont know whats behind them, water damage etc

Ive always been told a "quote" is the set price and an "estimate" is open to be changed if you come up against problems like said above.

hope this helps

T

Time's Ran Out

The only time it's Free is if you don't get the job!

If you are submitting an Estimate or a Quote you include your costing (travel, time, etc.) in your price and you make every effort to ensure you get the work.
Don't waste your time chasing work you don't want or will not be able to fit in within the customers timescale or budget.

We only ever estimate for contracts and make sure you agree the payment terms at that time.

macten

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
if it's straight forward tiling then I will give a quote.
If it's a new bathroom including rip out and prep then I always give an estimate - learnt that lesson a long time ago

Reply to Estimates - or - Quotes? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
A little help guys. I've been asked to price 71sqm of limestone flooring. My issue is this...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen