Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Epoxy advice in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

D

davy_G

After posting on another thread I thought i would start my own to get some advice.
Now, I have never used epoxy but will be tiling my own extension kitchen/diner and back hall this year. Being a farmhouse and with patio doors and the back door (the main door for the house) I would like to use epoxy to stop the grout getting grubby over time.

So whats the difference in cost over regular flexi grout.
Oh, some of it will have UFH....any issues there?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

D

diamondtiling

Lots of difference in cost Dave, last time I bought some it was in the region of £80 for 5 kilos if I remember right. Its 100% waterproof and I find it easy to use if you have the correct sponges. As for UFH I dont really know, never used it in those situations mate although it is heat resistant up to very high temperatures.

:thumbsup:

Alan.P

TF
Reaction score
Big cost difference but it will be worth it if your going to have heavy traffic, no problems with the ufh as far as I know :thumbsup:

P

Peter

Last time I used epoxy, a few years ago, I think it was out of Frackletons. Not sure of the price but would be worth giving them a ring. Theirs would most likely be Bal so probably at the dearer end of things.

D

davy_G

Last time I used epoxy, a few years ago, I think it was out of Frackletons. Not sure of the price but would be worth giving them a ring. Theirs would most likely be Bal so probably at the dearer end of things.

Cheers Wingn, im not saying its a blank cheque but as its for my own pad I dont mind getting decent gear and paying for it. Im sure i can negotiate some discount:thumbsup:

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
It's fine with UFH. BAL "Easypoxy" isn't easy at all! I'd use a Mapei one that is easier, but still a bit of a maul.

It does cost quite a bit more, you being trade should help get it down a bit compared to the scary retail prices of it, but it's still not cheap.

It is brilliant stuff once down though. And I think it looks neater than normal grout too as it sort of looks like silicone once it's set. Has a bit of a smooth sheen to it. (You probably know what it looks like).

I'd go for it in my own heavy traffic areas. I don't think I'd do walls in it in a kitchen though, but a wetroom I'd definitely consider it as it's one extra layer that's waterproof - that said I'd still tank etc but you know you're protecting the tanking even if you use epoxy.

P

Peter

Cheers Wingn, im not saying its a blank cheque but as its for my own pad I dont mind getting decent gear and paying for it. Im sure i can negotiate some discount:thumbsup:

If you go in in your work clothes you should get a few quid off. Can ask in Huttons on Monday for you if you like, they give 40-70% discount depending on what it is.

D

davy_G

If you go in in your work clothes you should get a few quid off. Can ask in Huttons on Monday for you if you like, they give 40-70% discount depending on what it is.

I usually get my gear at Mccalls or through a contact at Larsons. Mccalls stock Dunlop and Ardex so I will price them, dont think larsons do epoxy!

Sure ask next time your in and see. Thanks!

T

tfs

mapei kerapoxy is approx £40 per 3kg tub. The 3kg tub could grout anything between 8 - 10 sqm with a 300x600 tile.

D

davy_G

mapei kerapoxy is approx £40 per 3kg tub. The 3kg tub could grout anything between 8 - 10 sqm with a 300x600 tile.

This could add up. 55m2 to do, 45x45.

But as its for myself it will be worth it! Thanks for all the help folks!:thumbsup:

H

hillhead

Hi davy.tilemarket on boucher road i think stock laticrete epoxy grouts and laticrete have actually set up in there with an office.i net the guy in newry and is keen to promote the adhesives and grouts so dont be afraid to go in and introduce yourself and tell him you want to try it.he WILL give you a good price or a bag for nothing id say.i got 2 bags superflex addy and a permacolour grout of him in newry on a promotion night. Damn good stuff.

D

davy_G

Cheers Joe,
I prefer the Bangor TM as i cant be bothered with the traffic on the Boucher road. I will call Bangor first to see if any of the lemmings know what epoxy is though!

Will call into Boucher sometime im passing, got a nice kitchen floor coming up off the Malone road. Waiting on the kitchen fitters to get the old kitchen out first....

David Scott tiles, expensive$$$$$$$:thumbsup:

Reaction score
Kerapoxy is spot on:thumbsup: and as Dan says Easypoxy is NOT easy at all:thumbsdown:

The best and easiest I've ever used was Laticrete - it was a 3 part product not sure of its name as it was about 15 years ago, but a doddle to use all the same:thumbsup:

No problems with the UFH at all:smilewinkgrin:

Just make sure you get some scotch pads and doodlebug holder for emulsifying the grout and thinners for cleaning your tools:thumbsup:

The air temperature plays a massive part in the installation of the epoxy as well:thumbsup:

Last edited:
R

Rob Z

Kerapoxy is spot on:thumbsup: and as Dan says Easypoxy is NOT easy at all:thumbsdown:

The best and easiest I've ever used was Laticrete - it was a 3 part product not sure of its name as it was about 15 years ago, but a doddle to use all the same:thumbsup:

No problems with the UFH at all:smilewinkgrin:

Just make sure you get some scotch pads and doodlebug holder for emulsifying the grout and thinners for cleaning your tools:thumbsup:

The air temperature plays a massive part in the installation of the epoxy as well:thumbsup:

Merle,was it SP100 that you used?:thumbsup:

Reply to Epoxy advice in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowpaul22
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks