Search the forum,

Discuss Envelope cuts for Linear drain on wet shower tray in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

Reaction score
Evening, struggled a bit today with setting out the cuts for the falls on a 1400x800 tray with a Linear drain at the end.. I think this is the tray..
XPS_Shower_Tray_Board.jpg
Has anyone got any pictures of any tiled trays with a drain like this?? been surfing around but I can't find any

John Benton

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Here you go Martyn

Sorry its of mosaics but there are only 2 falls to the drain rather than the normal 4 so I would suggest on these trays that virtually any size tile can be used, my customer just wanted mosaics as oppose to continuing the 60x30s all the way through the tray

photo17.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
Cool thanks, these tiles are 450x450, and the drain is a lot closer to the edge of the tray. You're right, only 2 falls. I was half tempted today to make envelope cuts pointing from the far-end corners to the centre of the drain. But I'm guessing that will be way wrong, and look odd

John Benton

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Cool thanks, these tiles are 450x450, and the drain is a lot closer to the edge of the tray. You're right, only 2 falls. I was half tempted today to make envelope cuts pointing from the far-end corners to the centre of the drain. But I'm guessing that will be way wrong, and look odd

I can't see how you can do an envelope cut on this tray, you just need to go from the 2 ends to the centre of the drain.

I suppose you could put a cut from the corners of the tray to the corresponding corner of the drain but just follow the fall of the tray to make it appear that there are 4 falls but I think that you are creating more cuts where they're not actually required. You would still have the cuts along where the 2 falls meet at the centre of the drain, would look messy IMO

T

Time's Ran Out

In my experience these trays have pre formed slopes and it's just a question of centralising the tiles - only 2 options - full tile in middle or a joint! And of course the tile size is important whether it is bonded from main floor or done as a seperate entity with coordinating mosaic as per Mr Benton.

Reaction score
Thanks. Its gonna be a full tile in the middle (without envelope cuts on the middle tile?) and the 2 cuts either side cut to follow the fall. I think

gamma38

TF
Reaction score
I have always done the cut from each end of the drain away to the corners, that was how the tray was formed. Just put a straight edge across and find the low point and that will tell you where to cut. If any of that makes sense.

T

The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP

This is one I did today, envelope mitres to suit the falls looks OK imo and will work, no pooling the water will run straight into drain.

Attachments

• wr1.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 828
  • wr2.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 457
  • wr3.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 550
  • wr4.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 455

Reply to Envelope cuts for Linear drain on wet shower tray in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

• Poll
Hi, I have a small en-suite 1200 x 2400, with a 1200 x 900mm linear drain tray which will have...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen