Search the forum,

Discuss Encaustic tiles in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

dogbower

Hope someone can help
Recently laid Fired Earth Encastic tiles in a large hallway. Went down well and all nice and clean using gloves to stop oil from fingers etc. Then sealed with Fila ps87 as supplied by fired earth.
Then grouted, however when giving the floor a mop prior to second seal the grout lifted and spread over the floor, nothing too bad just a bit of a bloom, however I cant shift it.
Left the floor for 2 weeks to make sure all dried out and have just been up to clean them.
Spent over an hour on 2 tiles and still not clean enough.:mad2:
As Over 700 tiles have been laid dont fancy doing it this way anyway.
What do you suggest? I have contacted Fired Earth as well.

Stuart

T

Time's Ran Out

Did you seal the tiles before you fixed them/touched them?
Were the tiles completely dry when you gave them the first coat of seal?
Had they had enough seal before you grouted?
Why did the grout stay on the surface of the tile to cause a bloom?
Did you intend giving the second coat of seal to a wet 'moped' floor?
What colour grout was used?

Just thought I'd ask! - to try and get a mental picture.
Usually once the grout is in the Encaustic that's it, and after 2 weeks:yikes:

However I may be wrong.

T

Time's Ran Out

Stuart - The tiles in your link are not of the same material as you have fixed so the cleaning will be different.
Encaustic tiles are like blotting paper and need to be fully sealed prior to grouting.
In your first post you spent 2 hours cleaning 2 tiles and were 'still not clean enough' but then in your 2nd post 'they came up ok' - my reply was only trying to establish a procedure taken.
Imho you have sealed the tiles when wet or have grouted undersealed tiles.

However I may well be wrong and I hope you manage to rectify the situation. Good Luck.

B

Blackmuggle30

Hi, we've just had the same problem, did you establish what caused it or managed to sort it out?
Many thanks

Reply to Encaustic tiles in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am planning on tiling my concrete garage floor with porcelain tiles. The concrete was laid...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I've laid some Arditex NA over the kitchen floor area (not under cabinets. The area is...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen