Currently reading:
Encaustic novice!!

Discuss Encaustic novice!! in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

T

Time's Ran Out

Be careful grasshopper!
1) have very clean hands and even use surgical gloves.
2) check shades
3) make sure tiles are absolutely dry
3) dust with clean cloth/soft brush
4) impregnate/seal until no more accepted and leave NONE on face of tile.
5) use white fast set flexible adhesive
6) 2-3mm joint
7) fix
8) check grout colour on spare piece for staining
9) thoroughly clean
10)when dry - 48hrs minimum - seal again leaving NONE on surface
11)get paid.

Enjoy.

T

Time's Ran Out

100% yes - seal before you handle them if possible!
These tiles are neat cement and oil off your skin will discolour them.
Do NOT get them damp, wet, or marked by any means prior to sealing as they will show any imperfections once dry.
If you fix them without following my 1-10 it will be a disaster waiting to happen.
They are like Nottingham paper, if you use a sponge on them prior to sealing, although they may look dry, once you seal them it will dry differently where the sponge has been.
As I said - be careful Grasshopper ! ( that doesn't make me a Master, just one who has the 't' shirt.)
These are not the easiest materials to use and there are no shortcuts in time, so price it right.

M

m3fitter

More Tips:
test a single tile with the sealing process, some of the deep colours ( Burgundy, Navy blue ) bleed into the background colour if sealer is applied too roughly, best advice is to test your tile with the whole process, I've found Lithofin products to be the best on these naughty tiles. I would suggest a good Daywork rate or £75.00 a metre minimum, as you will be coming and going with washing, sealing, sealing, waxing, grouting, washing etc.etc ( not in that order ! )
don't forget to cobblewax ( lithofin ) them at the end ( which is a process that these tiles will need twice a year, as traffic wax ! )

Lastly: thoroughly clean your wet cutter, use water very sparingly, just enough to cool the blade
Ps: They're a pain, allow enough time, and then add some more for good measure :)

Reply to Encaustic novice!! in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all, I'm hoping you can help with some feedback, please My parents are currently having a new bathroom installed, all stripped back to bare walls and floor. The fitter has done/hasn't done...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill.83462/#gsc.tab=0 There was some heated argument in the above thread! I don't have much...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I've laid some Arditex NA over the kitchen floor area (not under cabinets. The area is 4.5m x 1.8m. The top third of the room is totally level. The remainder of the room has a slope...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm new to the forum and fairly new to tiling, my only previous "proper" job was my recent bathroom (600x600 porcelain, about 25m walls and floors) which went pretty well. I'm now having a go...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you have shower leakage that goes downstairs leading to either your main floor or basement? Read this blog...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement