Search the forum,

Discuss Encaustic novice!! in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Reaction score
Hi,
I have a potential job coming up using encaustic tiles, has anyone had any experience with these tiles and if so could I have some install advice, pre-sealing if necessary etc, as I've never dealt with this type of tile.
Thanks,
Ross

T

Time's Ran Out

Be careful grasshopper!
1) have very clean hands and even use surgical gloves.
2) check shades
3) make sure tiles are absolutely dry
3) dust with clean cloth/soft brush
4) impregnate/seal until no more accepted and leave NONE on face of tile.
5) use white fast set flexible adhesive
6) 2-3mm joint
7) fix
8) check grout colour on spare piece for staining
9) thoroughly clean
10)when dry - 48hrs minimum - seal again leaving NONE on surface
11)get paid.

Enjoy.

T

Time's Ran Out

100% yes - seal before you handle them if possible!
These tiles are neat cement and oil off your skin will discolour them.
Do NOT get them damp, wet, or marked by any means prior to sealing as they will show any imperfections once dry.
If you fix them without following my 1-10 it will be a disaster waiting to happen.
They are like Nottingham paper, if you use a sponge on them prior to sealing, although they may look dry, once you seal them it will dry differently where the sponge has been.
As I said - be careful Grasshopper ! ( that doesn't make me a Master, just one who has the 't' shirt.)
These are not the easiest materials to use and there are no shortcuts in time, so price it right.

Reaction score
Great thanks John! I really appreciate your advice and I'll make sure I'll take your 1-10 with me on the job!!! I'll print it off on an A1 sheet and stick it to the wall :)

T

Time's Ran Out

You could do to stop any ingress through the side with grout . Usually find the cement 'topping' is about 1/2 the thickness of the tile.

S

Spud

You need to dip the backs in water for a few seconds to slow the suction down as you are fixing them dip then shake the water off then stick

Reply to Encaustic novice!! in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all, I've laid some Arditex NA over the kitchen floor area (not under cabinets. The area is...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm new to the forum and fairly new to tiling, my only previous "proper" job was my recent...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen