Search the forum,

Discuss dot and dab and the tile association in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

O

Olz

Presumably the builder got a copy of the TTA report before they ended up at court though, what did the report say caused the failure and about dot and dab, the same as what the guy has said in court or has he changed his stand point when questioned by the solicitor?

S

Spud

I thought I better clear this up and get the info straight from the horses mouth so to speak
I called Don Slade today and had a chat about what the builder had told me and to be fair to Don he did a very thorough and fair report with the information he was given,he is extremely knowledgeable and does not think Dot and dab is an acceptable method of fixing and does not endorse its use ,basically the floors in question the substrates were not suitable for tiling and were in places 20-28mm out of level and the tiler was told just to tile them, the tiler had infact spread adhesive onto the screed and then tried to build the height up by dotting on top of this using multiple spots of adhesive hoping that these would spread to give 100% coverage( again Don did not endorse this method of fixing but understood why the tiler atempted to do this way) it wasnt until the last day of the court case that photos were produced showing 50% coverage, it was at that time he was asked if 50% coverage was okay and he replied if no other stresses were involved 50% coverage may be sufficient to keep the tile bonded and he had witnessed many jobs that were done like this in domestic situations which did not fail but if other stresses were involved then this may not be enough ,
To the tilers defence the under floor heating was on when he was working and one day he could not even kneel down it was so hot but he didnt refuse to tile the job which is what we would all have done in the same circumstances so it isnt a defence really ,
from our telephone conversation I gathered Don acted as a totally independant witness and just answered questions on what he found and on the information given and I found him very knowledgeable and fair to both sides , the judgement in this case may take several weeks so it is better left alone until after the judge decides what the outcome is
And what I will say the builder didnt fully explain to me all the facts

Last edited by a moderator:

nybor62

TF
Reaction score
thanks gary keep us informed, im sure we could all harp on about what we would have done with a floor so out of level ,but no point i suppose wait untill the outcome

Reply to dot and dab and the tile association in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hello, I'm just a home owner who doesn't have much experience with tiling but I'm looking for...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen