Search the forum,

Discuss Door threshold bars for tiling with underfloor heating to carpet in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

M

Matthew77

Hi All.

Every time I install underfloor heating under tiles I have a problem with finding metal door bars to match the rest of the house because of the height difference which is usually about 30mm from top of tile to underside of carpet.

Once I've fitted the (10mm) insulation boards plus the underfloor heating cable and slc (5mm) plus tiles (10mm) plus adhesive for board and tiles (5mm) I'm usually left with about 30-40mm depending on how flat the floor is. Both my local tile shops don't stock anything this big and when asked what they use they one has said that they don't use insulation boards when fitting on to timber floors! I've also looked through their trim and threshold catalogs and we couldn't find anything like this?

Anyway does anyone else have this problem or does anyone know a company where I can get metal door bars this size in dull or polished silver? I have previously had carpenters make wooden bars but its not really what the customer wants here?

Thanks Matt

M

Matthew77

You can purchase a Z bar that will do up to 25mm. If you fix a bit of timber, ply or tilebacker under it (6mm) you'll be able to make it work.

Thanks Ali

I tried a Z bar I had left over from another job but it looked really odd as it had a flat top on the threshold and when knocked down it was almost a step due to the angle of it. I'm was hoping to find something that I'm sure I'd used in the past that had more of a flat section on the tile side but rounded where it meets the carpet, when I went to get one from the shop the sales man was no longer their that supplied it and the other guys didn't seem to be able to find anything like it?

I'll try raising the carpet side like you suggested and if not see if I can find a curved threshold from somewhere.

Thanks again

matt

M

Matthew77

Make your own from a nice bit of hardwood stained to suit.

Thanks Alan

Unfortunately the customer wants the trims to match the other silver door bars throughout their flat so not really ideal, although in the past I've got the carpenter to make these and I think they are the better option here as it seems like no one makes a door bar for bigger height differences so the ones that are recommended by tile shops seem to look not quite right when fitted.

might have to persuade the customer down the wooden threshold route.

thanks

matt

T

Time's Ran Out

Can't imagine 30 mm of chrome at a thresh looking the business! We'd always have Champhered mahogany or oak strip with a silicone joint.

Reply to Door threshold bars for tiling with underfloor heating to carpet in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen