Currently reading:
Domestic Tiling Quotes

Search the forum,

Discuss Domestic Tiling Quotes in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

O

On one

When you have been in the game long enough you tend to sense when you're wasting your time, usually within about 2mins of discussion at a customers house or even earlier whilst on the phone.
But how many domestic customers over the years have you had, that have had the decency to contact you to say your tiling quote has been unsuccessful?
Not many? me neither.

John Benton

TF
Arms
Leeds
They all ring me then confirm by email or text, yeah course they do. They don't realise that it is your time that you are not getting paid for and don't then have the common decency to let you know. I generally do a follow up call, firstly to make sure they got the quote and secondly to gauge reaction when you ask what their thoughts are on it.

John Benton

TF
Arms
Leeds
Just one as I remember....

christmas-economy.258.jpg

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Gloucester
Never........to be honest I think there to embarrassed to call you incase you give them the third degree as to why you didn't get the job........which is a shame as feed back is always good .....
Must admit I've had more than my fair share of time wasters this year.......and like you said you can tell with in minutes. .........when you turn up on time to do the quote and they answer the door and have no idea who you are and what you want.....and you have to remind them they booked you in for a quote. .....you kind of no your wasting your time

Sean Kelly

TF
Arms
Ruislip
In 7 years one Indian man ( a Doctor) emailed me to say I did not get the job. Strange how I remember him, but can't remember half the customers I have actually worked for!

I'm currently in the process of getting quotes for double glazing. I'm already thinking about how to let the unsuccessful parties down. Unless they are all too expensive and I have to stick with crittall windows for the rest of my life.

O

On one

Never........to be honest I think there to embarrassed to call you incase you give them the third degree as to why you didn't get the job........which is a shame as feed back is always good .....
Must admit I've had more than my fair share of time wasters this year.......and like you said you can tell with in minutes. .........when you turn up on time to do the quote and they answer the door and have no idea who you are and what you want.....and you have to remind them they booked you in for a quote. .....you kind of no your wasting your time
Ditto.....went to look at a small bathroom floor job yesterday......measured up and said I would call later with the price..rang later that night....said who I was and what I was ringing up for and gave her the price(had to give it twice) and at the end of the call she says ''and what was your name please'':confused:
Some people eh!

macten

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Nottingham
Usually 1 or 2 a year.

On a side note - I've got loads on at moment so can cherry pick but I did make the mistake of quoting a bathroom rip out/refit for a previous local customer but she does my head in and now I've got much better (more profitable and easier jobs) and I really want to get out of it now!
Anyone got any good ideas? Or am I doomed into doing it if I want to stay professional?

Sean Kelly

TF
Arms
Ruislip
I sent out 2 estimates on 27th Aug to the same customer.
I got a text from her on 11th Sept asking where are the quotes.
I replied with 'I have resent the estimates, but look for the originals in your SPAM folder.
I do not get a reply, so the next day I text her 'Did you get the estimates I resent to you yesterday?'
Her reply was 'I did. Will try and let you know asap'

From now on I am going to text customers to ask them if they received their estimate...........they have to reply......don't they? !!

R

Rizzle from the Portizzle

ok now i play the devils avacat you come to price a job for me you are a pro tiler you should know your job and cost at a blink of an eye but you need to go home and think about it realy .this tiler must be going to top me up he even has find out what he has to do .so if you priced the job up on the spot and said email me if you want to go ahead .if they say ok you are not going to get the job .every job i priced up on the spot i knew there and then if i had it.

AD Ceramics

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Manchester
I give them my meterage rate over the phone after I have taken a description of the job that needs doing, if they accept that then I will go and give them a firm quote.
I can't bear dealing with these numpties half the time, I had one bum hole the other day who told me I had the job, I ordered all the tiles and adhesive etc through my account and gave them all my discount they paid for tiles cancelled adhesive and gave the job to someone else.

R

Rizzle from the Portizzle

I give them my meterage rate over the phone after I have taken a description of the job that needs doing, if they accept that then I will go and give them a firm quote.
I can't bear dealing with these numpties half the time, I had one bum hole the other day who told me I had the job, I ordered all the tiles and adhesive etc through my account and gave them all my discount they paid for tiles cancelled adhesive and gave the job to someone else.
never never give some one your accoutt they buy there products on this next thing you know you have gone over the vat thershould and its all in your name

AD Ceramics

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Manchester
never never give some one your accoutt they buy there products on this next thing you know you have gone over the vat thershould and its all in your name

I'm already vat registered anyway, I didn't give them my details I ordered the stuff for them as they had already got a sample from there and I I was supposedly doing the job I ordered the stuff for them.

Reply to Domestic Tiling Quotes in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you have shower leakage that goes downstairs leading to either your main floor or basement? Read this blog...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement