Search the forum,

Discuss DIY'er looking for some bathroom tiling advice in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

C

Craigl

Hi Guys,

Hope you're all keeping well. It's that time of year again for me and the mrs has me redoing our bathroom. It was very much a last minute decision, but we have a little one on the way and I think she's nesting!

Anyway, the bathroom has 2 brick walls and 2 partitioned ones. They are all skimmed. I removed the old tiles and for the most part, they just popped off, leaving the plaster in good shape.

On the floor, the floorboards seem in good order, so I'm not looking to take them up, but will put 6mm Hardiebacker down. I'd have take up the floor and put ply down if the floorboards didn't go under the walls.

My tiles are ceramic for the walls, 1.38 m2 weights around 22kg and the floor tiles are porcelain.

Can I tile these tiles straight onto the skimmed walls? I've got some BAL SBR to prime them. Secondly, I have a soil stack made of 3 mm ply, can I tile this or should I reboard it?

Thirdly, one of the plasterboard walls is going to be travertine mosaics, these are around 25kg m2, is this too heavy?

I've gone for bagged BAL flexible adhesive all round.

Thanks in advance, Craig

D

DHTiling

Wall weight is fine for the skimmed and boarded section.. ceramics on the skim and mosaic on the boarded..

hardi is good as long as the floor is virtually deflection free.

And adhesive choice IMO should be SPF slow or fast set and SBR is ok as primer.

C

Craigl

Thanks for the advice, much appreciated. I'll change the adhesive.

Any thoughts on tiling the 3mm ply boxing? This is to ceiling height and was tiled before.

B

Bubblecraft

You could over sheet with plasterboard or Hardibacker. Far to flexible to tile on. 3mm is just too thin

C

Craigl

You could over sheet with plasterboard or Hardibacker. Far to flexible to tile on. 3mm is just too thin

Thanks, I suspected as much. I'll get some heavier stuff.

Would 6 mm ply or Hardibacker work, it would help me with my levels to keep it on the thinner side?

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
Reaction score
It's likely that the stacks boxing isn't square, and 3mm ply would of warped over time. Purchase an additional sheet of hardie and replace/rebuild.
I don't think i've ever come accross a boxed stack that has been constructed by a house builder with a bit of care and thought. When they're not straight or square i find it can stand out when you come to tile and your cuts differ as you work up the wall.

C

Craigl

Getting into the final stages now, there were a few challenges along the way, but I suppose there always are. I'll post some pics once in bit.

I'm about to start sealing the tiles tumbled travertine mosaics and not sure which is the best option. The trav mosaics are on the shower wall of the bath. Topps suggested a grout sealer, but said nothing about sealing the trav. So my question is, should I seal the trav with grout sealer or the grout with trav sealer? What would work best?

Reply to DIY'er looking for some bathroom tiling advice in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
10 Tiling Tips for Fixing Tiles to Bathroom Walls = From UKTilingForum.co.uk There are a few...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen