Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss DIY Tiler - 90 sq m of large format porcelaine tiling making me nervous! in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

D

doug boardley

On Trade Tiler the TX-700 is actually more than the TX-700-N. Should I still go for the standard?
If you have room to set it up, I don't see why not. I think (but I'll have to check) that TT may have the old version "N" model and the new version standard model:thumbsup:

P

PJPro

OK. So I'm pulling together my shopping list.

RUBI TX-700 or RUBI TX-700-N - Still can't decide. Seems strange that the standard version is more expensive than the N version
Adhesive and Grout Whisk
Gorilla Tub - Medium 26 ltr
Gorilla Tub - Small 14 ltr
SBR Bonding/Admix agent - (Everbuild) - What's the coverage on this stuff? Do you use it for mixing the adhesive as well (rather than water)
3 mm Long leg Cross Spacers x 1000 - I want the same size tile spacing on floor and wall. Is 3 mm too small?
Rubi Stainless Steel Trowl 10 mm x 10 mm notches - the tile is 10 mm thick.....so 10 mm notch? How about the 10 mm rounded notch?
Rubi 160 mm Bucket trowel
Rubi soft rubber grouting trowel
Washboy - this seems expensive. Is it really worth it?
Rubi General Purpose Nippers
Stanley Chalk Line
Red Chalk
Rubi Professional Knee Pads

This little lot is gonna cost £500+ And I think it is far from complete! There's still the hole cutters, wet saw, etc

Last edited by a moderator:
C

CJ CERAMICS

by the time you have added adhesive and grouts, sealants and wet saw etc to your list assuming you can get a good price on the adhesive you are going to touching close on a grand if not more.......have you had any tilers give you a quote? bearing in mind the timescale in which it may take you added to what you will spend it may be worth enquiring.
chris

H

hillhead

Hi there,is there anyone who maybe can lend some tools in the area???
this would keep the costs down as long as you looked after the tools ! a lot of us carry too many tools at times.lol.
Good luck with all too.

P

PJPro

by the time you have added adhesive and grouts, sealants and wet saw etc to your list assuming you can get a good price on the adhesive you are going to touching close on a grand if not more.......have you had any tilers give you a quote? bearing in mind the timescale in which it may take you added to what you will spend it may be worth enquiring.
chris
I've already bought the adhesives and grout......based on the recommendation from Topps. It went very much along the lines of "just bung what we need on the bill". I think we've got fast-setting flexible adhesive and flexible, ivory grout.

I

Ian

OK. So I'm pulling together my shopping list.

RUBI TX-700 or RUBI TX-700-N - Still can't decide. Seems strange that the standard version is more expensive than the N version
Adhesive and Grout Whisk
Gorilla Tub - Medium 26 ltr
Gorilla Tub - Small 14 ltr
SBR Bonding/Admix agent - (Everbuild) - What's the coverage on this stuff? Do you use it for mixing the adhesive as well (rather than water)
3 mm Long leg Cross Spacers x 1000 - I want the same size tile spacing on floor and wall. Is 3 mm too small?
Rubi Stainless Steel Trowl 10 mm x 10 mm notches - the tile is 10 mm thick.....so 10 mm notch? How about the 10 mm rounded notch?
Rubi 160 mm Bucket trowel
Rubi soft rubber grouting trowel
Washboy - this seems expensive. Is it really worth it?
Rubi General Purpose Nippers
Stanley Chalk Line
Red Chalk
Rubi Professional Knee Pads

This little lot is gonna cost £500+ And I think it is far from complete! There's still the hole cutters, wet saw, etc

Dont need to mix the primer into the adhesive, just get single part flexible and mix with water (instructions will be on the bag). A 5 litre tub of primer mixes 3:1 water: primer (20 litres) and should easily cover 100m2. As for the wash boy, cross that off your list if this is likely to be your only job, just fill a bucket with water! Don't forget half a dozen sponges for grouting. Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
I

Ian

3mm spacers are a nice average if you want the grout lines to be the same on the wall and the floor, I usually use 2mm on walls and 4mm on floors. Using a 10mm trowel is what i would use on the floor but a 6mm trowel for the walls is fine (both square not rounded notch) with a 6mm trowel you will get about 8m2 of tiling done per 20kg bag with a 10mm only 5m2. Maybe due to the size of the tile use the 10mm all over, but not necessary imo.

D

doug boardley

3mm spacers are a nice average if you want the grout lines to be the same on the wall and the floor, I usually use 2mm on walls and 4mm on floors. Using a 10mm trowel is what i would use on the floor but a 6mm trowel for the walls is fine (both square not rounded notch) with a 6mm trowel you will get about 8m2 of tiling done per 20kg bag with a 10mm only 5m2. Maybe due to the size of the tile use the 10mm all over, but not necessary imo.

why would you not use a solid bed trowel on a floor Brian??

Reply to DIY Tiler - 90 sq m of large format porcelaine tiling making me nervous! in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
laattaana
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks