Search the forum,

Discuss Daywork rate in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

T

The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP

Hi guys n gals, I am pricing a job and need to submit a daywork rate. When I first joined this forum I was charging £200.00 per day and was always busy. My problem now is I understand times have changed, and wonder what other pro's would charge? I have worked for these people in the past so they know my work, and are more than happy with it.

Do I go in at £170.00 or £150 per day? or stick to my £200.00? This game gets harder by the day, sorry to put anyone on the spot, but my usual confidence has been rocked by this new influx of cheap labour.

Any input would be much appreciated.

Thanks, Phil.

S

Stef

Phil i always work at £20 per hour, day works, normally 10 hours per day, so 200 bangers!!

I know what you mean with cheap labour but dont cheap yourself.

Clients are paying for a quality tradesman!!

W

White Room

I'm charging £150 a day but it is day work on a job at the moment, with your background Phil you should be at least £170 or more for daywork....pricing should be your £200 IMO

peteablard

TF
Arms
Reaction score
I always prefer to work on price however if it has to be day work then I charge £20 per hour so I'm the same as Stef, £200 for a 10 hour day. When not on price I pay my subbies £15 per hour.

T

The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP

Phil i always work at £20 per hour, day works, normally 10 hours per day, so 200 bangers!!

I know what you mean with cheap labour but dont cheap yourself.

Clients are paying for a quality tradesman!!

Thanks Stef, I don't want to lose this job, but I want to give a fair price. Maybe £170.00 per day, they can always knock me down.

John Benton

TF
Arms
Reaction score
You're right Phil times have changed and we've read on here of stupid prices per metre and you could easily formulate that to a day rate. It's well under £200 a day!!!

I have been charging one of my customers on a day rate for the last 4 years, did a job that was difficult to quantify how long it would take and he kept moving the goalposts almost daily.

From that point I've always charged day rate and he's never questioned it, just paid up straightaway.

If you are going in on your own i.e. no-one else quoting then I see no reason why you can't charge the same rate as before, but you need to find this out prior to giving your dayrate.

Otherwise, if you are up against 1 or more others then do you think you are selling yourself short at £150 a day. £750 a week for labour only is not to be sniffed at, but then again you don't want to be put in a position where you have no room to negotiate.

S

Stef

As John says Phil, go in higher then if they want to try & knock you down a bit then haggle a small discount.

John Benton

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Don't forget Phil - With negotiating, it's not the figure you start with, but the figure you end up with that matters!!

P

Peter

No right or wrong really,.just whatever you need to live on vs staying within market values.

I'm losing quite a bit of work lately with an average dayrate/price per day around 150. Another lad in my area who I often price directly against is going in at 80 a day so not standing a chance. His tiling is of a reasonable standard and he could charge 120 all day long, so not sure why he does it to himself and others.

D

Dougs Third Go

I don't do a day rate per se unless I know how long the days are Phil, but like others I charge at £20 per hour and don't get too many grumblers.

Reply to Daywork rate in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen