Search the forum,

Discuss Customer Price Dispute. in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

F

Flintstone

Had one today,
Went to look at the job prior to starting. It's a plumber who I know's daughter.
She asked for a rough idea of cost, I said £450 plus materials. No mention of day rate or any of that. It's tiling above a bath to ceiling, window wall half way and door wall to ceiling. Boarding and tiling floor, 3m.
I have Got it tiled in 2 days without too much sweat and due to go back tomorrow to grout and seal it up. Had a phone call from her fella tonight, he's a joiner apparently, asking where I've got my price from its too much and I'm out of order charging for a full day tomorrow when Ile be done in a couple of hours. When I explained I told them the price before I started, he said he thought that was just a worse case and I was covering myself, He's also seen tilemaster adhesive online for £15, when I charge £25. Tried my best to explain it all and come to an agreement, had to settle on me collecting my tools and leaving him to grout it himself and charging him £300 plus materials. - my idea.

Very Annoying, the plumber is a long term acquaintence so didn't want to fall out too bad!
I think this is a lesson to me to start doing writer quotes to everyone, I nearly always have a verbal agreement.

Andy

S

Stocks Tiles

Verbal doesn't exist unfortunately, don't be shy in how you write quotes be very thorough it's not rude to do so :) Any discussions I have I follow it up by email or text with a response of confirmation, can't trust no one when it comes to money :/

The fella is a bellend.

John Benton

TF
Arms
Reaction score
The spoken word flies, the written word remains!!!!

ALWAYS put everything in writing, that forms a contract between you and the customer. Although a verbal agreement is still a contract it is more difficult to prove.

F

Flintstone

If it was under different circumstances I would stick to my guns here, but I want to keep the peace. He's got a good deal tho, on the labour.
Very rare I get asked for a writen quote. Ile have to have some propper headed quote sheets made up.

F

Flintstone

I would say I send about 70% of quotes via text message these days, it's very easy and clear.
Cheers impish, if anyone would be willing that would be great.
Have to set out some terms for payment too, as some customers think that's on there terms!

O

One Day

Pm me your email and I'll send you my template and t's & c's... Will be tomorrow evening now though...

S

Stocks Tiles

I would say I send about 70% of quotes via text message these days, it's very easy and clear.
Cheers impish, if anyone would be willing that would be great.
Have to set out some terms for payment too, as some customers think that's on there terms!

This is one of my quotes for an example, I have just blanked out number and address. Short, they know their part, they know what they're getting from me and they know payment is once I've finished regardless of it just being a days work! Other details such as grout colour I confirm in email or by text if the job is won unless they've already decided when I visit to quote :) No problems in the last 15 months! You watch Sunday's job will be awkward now haha.

image.jpeg

John Benton

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Sounds familiar...lol
I had everything written down, emails, quotes...ect....and still got screwed !!

Only because you let it Andy, if you had pursued it, through whatever means, you would have got your money. A contract is a contract., it's legally binding. If you say, change the terms of the contract half way through a job, then put it in writing. i.e. customer requires a full wall tiling instead of half a wall, amend the quote and get an agreement signed off.

Sean Kelly

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Hopefully the spacers were still in when you left his house.

So he has to find someone to remove spacers,clean up, grout and wash down,let it dry,polish off and silicone. All this for £75 plus materials at trade price.

Plus he has to get someone on short notice.........and on a bank holiday weekend.

The plumbers daughter or her joiner partner will not be showering for at least the next week.

Have a look at 'Joist'. Its a quote and invoice app. Its free. It's very very good.

F

Flintstone

Sean, your right. It's not the 2 hour job he thinks, half a day for me, probably a full day for him. I'm sure he will do it himself but he won't be using colour matching silicone and making a nice job of it I'm sure. I'm calling up at 8.30 to get my tools. Might stick his tooth brush up my arse before I leave :D

Cheers impish Ile send email address.

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Only because you let it Andy, if you had pursued it, through whatever means, you would have got your money. A contract is a contract., it's legally binding. If you say, change the terms of the contract half way through a job, then put it in writing. i.e. customer requires a full wall tiling instead of half a wall, amend the quote and get an agreement signed off.
It won't happen again....you live and learn as they say.
Problem is, with social media the way it is it's so easy for someone to go to town slagging you off left right and centre it can destroy your reputation.

Reply to Customer Price Dispute. in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen