Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Cracked Grout in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

T

Time's Ran Out

It reads to me that the tiler has indeed done a well prepared floor and after 9 months + a few perimeter grout cracks is not a sign of poor workmanship.
If a crack appears in a mitred joint of a door frame would you get the decorator back to fill it?
You have a cellar below this floor, you may have increased temperature variation causing greater movement in the timber substrate.
Fill the cracks with the same colour grout with a flexible admix.

N

natalie stanley

Thanks for your reply John - I'm not suggesting poor workmanship however i do believe he should come and correct the cracks, particularly as sealant should have been used initially between the wooden stairs and tile

J

J Sid

Have done the water test and not much bounce or movement in the water. The cracks have got worse - do you think it sounds like the movement in the stairs causing the cracks?
Sound like the floor is pretty sound.
Yes a movement / expansion joint should have put around the perimeter of all the room. Once this is done you shouldn't have any problems.
The tiler who did the job should do the decent thing and do this for you foc. Have you spoken to him?

N

natalie stanley

Sound like the floor is pretty sound.
Yes a movement / expansion joint should have put around the perimeter of all the room. Once this is done you shouldn't have any problems.
The tiler who did the job should do the decent thing and do this for you foc. Have you spoken to him?
I spoke to him around 3 weeks ago when he came to inspect. He said he thought it was movement in the house and alluded to the fact that he wasn't responsible. He did also say though that I should speak to other tilers/ builders which I've done and you've mostly said the same thing- needs silicone where the tile meets the stairs and that the cracked grout by the back door should be re grouted with grout that included ad mix. I'll be sending him an email so fingers crossed he doesn't try and demand additional payment for the work

L

lmkitchens

No no no! Just use a colour matched silicone form the same manufacturer.

That is the whole reason they make it.

I know you don't want to " be had over " but you are over complicating matters and it would make it a lot less desirable to return and sort it if I had a customer knowing better than I did!

I don't want to sound out of place or rude but keep it simple!

N

natalie stanley

No no no! Just use a colour matched silicone form the same manufacturer.

That is the whole reason they make it.

I know you don't want to " be had over " but you are over complicating matters and it would make it a lot less desirable to return and sort it if I had a customer knowing better than I did!

I don't want to sound out of place or rude but keep it simple!
Sorry I'm a little confused - can you clarify? Thanks

T

Time's Ran Out

Natalie - you don't have to read/listen to every view that's expressed in any forum - it's your choice. The original tiler will definetley return to your job as he's done most 99% correct.
I'd be interested to see a larger area of flooring.

T

Time's Ran Out

He's already been back once and although surprising didn't fix the issue at that time I believe he's a tradesman trying to do a proper job!
I try not to judge totally on one point of view and often hope that by presenting an alternative option it allows for further discussion. Often the original post is limited in detail and it's difficult to provide the correct evaluation of the issue, however in this instance the cellar void under this floor could be a contributing factor to this perimeter cracking. What if the kitchen has been fitted since tiling with granite work tops - adding a ton or so to the joists!
I'am sure we have all been involved in this type of call back - where there is no damage to the tiling, but a hairline crack to the skirting through vibration on a suspended floor. If the cutting has allowed for a joint to the edge than an expansion joint can be filled with decorators chaulk and painted rather than leaving silicone to get dirty and discolour. It would have been better to have allowed the movement to have taken place under the skirting unseen but how many contracts cost for that.
In conclusion - not much more to add - I'am out!

N

natalie stanley

He's already been back once and although surprising didn't fix the issue at that time I believe he's a tradesman trying to do a proper job!
I try not to judge totally on one point of view and often hope that by presenting an alternative option it allows for further discussion. Often the original post is limited in detail and it's difficult to provide the correct evaluation of the issue, however in this instance the cellar void under this floor could be a contributing factor to this perimeter cracking. What if the kitchen has been fitted since tiling with granite work tops - adding a ton or so to the joists!
I'am sure we have all been involved in this type of call back - where there is no damage to the tiling, but a hairline crack to the skirting through vibration on a suspended floor. If the cutting has allowed for a joint to the edge than an expansion joint can be filled with decorators chaulk and painted rather than leaving silicone to get dirty and discolour. It would have been better to have allowed the movement to have taken place under the skirting unseen but how many contracts cost for that.
Thanks again for your reply John, appreciated.
Thanks for your reply John, appreciated. There has been no kitchen fitted since the floor was laid. The whole kitchen was done october 2013. The builder who also did the tiling didn't lay the subfloor correctly resulting in cracks in the tiles. He messed me around for a good year denying he did a bad job before eventually agreeing to do the work to correct it. By that point I decided that he wasn't qualified to do the work and got a professional tiler to redo the floor.

This tiler aware of the previous problem, strengthened the subfloor with his partner before relating new tiles.

I'm not denying a good job has been done but I'm also very weary and worried because of what happened previously.

The grout line between the stairs and the tile is continuing to crack which is understandable as we walk up and down the stairs several times a day. Last night I noticed a clicking type of sound when I walked on on the middle of the floor. I've walked on it several times since to try and locate the sound. It doesn't always give out the clicking sound but it does come back every now and then...could it be wooden joists underneath and if so what does it suggest? I am naturally worried.

Reply to Cracked Grout in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apatel
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks