Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Cracked Grout in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

N

natalie stanley

Thanks again for your reply John, appreciated.

Thanks for your reply John, appreciated. There has been no kitchen fitted since the floor was laid. The whole kitchen was done october 2013. The builder who also did the tiling didn't lay the subfloor correctly resulting in cracks in the tiles. He messed me around for a good year denying he did a bad job before eventually agreeing to do the work to correct it. By that point I decided that he wasn't qualified to do the work and got a professional tiler to redo the floor.

This tiler aware of the previous problem, strengthened the subfloor with his partner before relating new tiles.

I'm not denying a good job has been done but I'm also very weary and worried because of what happened previously.

The grout line between the stairs and the tile is continuing to crack which is understandable as we walk up and down the stairs several times a day. Last night I noticed a clicking type of sound when I walked on on the middle of the floor. I've walked on it several times since to try and locate the sound. It doesn't always give out the clicking sound but it does come back every now and then...could it be wooden joists underneath and if so what does it suggest? I am naturally worried.
Forgot to add - when the floor came up, the skirts came up too so there are no grout joints around the edge, only where the stairs are

N

natalie stanley

Can you supply a wide angle view photo of the affected area?
Hi Tom do these pictures help - 1 is of the stairs and grout crack is, the other is the view into the kitchen if standing on the stairs looking in to it

image.jpg image.jpg

B

Bill

I would expect grout to crack if this was my floor too. Like has been said numerous times, this is not poor workmanship. I wouldn't even be worried and I would either rake out the affected joint next to the stairs and re grout (now the floor has settled) and replace with a mastic joint.

N

natalie stanley

T
I would expect grout to crack if this was my floor too. Like has been said numerous times, this is not poor workmanship. I wouldn't even be worried and I would either rake out the affected joint next to the stairs and re grout (now the floor has settled) and replace with a mastic joint.
Thanks Tom - I'm not sure if you've read my reply to timeless john but last night I heard what sounded like a crunch in the middle of the floor. I've walked around on the part several times to try to locate the sound - it doesn't always happen, what could that be?

B

Bill

Hang on a minute - you wrote that it was clicking sound and now you write it was a crunch - I think you are over exaggerating and that you are looking for trouble without taking any notice of what decades of experience are telling you.

Like John has written - I am out.

N

natalie stanley

Hang on a minute - you wrote that it was clicking sound and now you write it was a crunch - I think you are over exaggerating and that you are looking for trouble without taking any notice of what decades of experience are telling you.

Like John has written - I am out.
Hi Tom, sorry if that's the impression you have. It's a hard to describe sound but it's noticeable every now and then. There was a similar sound before the first time the floor was done so that's why I'm worried. I'm not looking for trouble, rather the opposite hence why I'm on here

B

Bill

Hi Tom, sorry if that's the impression you have. It's a hard to describe sound but it's noticeable every now and then. There was a similar sound before the first time the floor was done so that's why I'm worried. I'm not looking for trouble, rather the opposite hence why I'm on here
So maybe it is a subfloor joist that is creaking - nothing to do with what the tiler has or hasn't done.

Definitely my last post in this thread.

O

Old Mod

@Tom Astley,
That was an unreasonable ussumption on your part, that the op is looking for trouble,
if you no longer wish to comment, then don't.

@natalie stanley
Perhaps at this point Natalie it would be prudent to perhaps deal with the perimeter issues and see how this other problem plays out, if at all.
As there seems to be no real diagnosis for the intermittent noise in the centre of the floor.
You can revisit the thread whenever u wish, if things develope, whether they be tomorrow or in 3months.

N

natalie stanley

@Tom Astley,
That was an unreasonable ussumption on your part, that the op is looking for trouble,
if you no longer wish to comment, then don't.

@natalie stanley
Perhaps at this point Natalie it would be prudent to perhaps deal with the perimeter issues and see how this other problem plays out, if at all.
As there seems to be no real diagnosis for the intermittent noise in the centre of the floor.
You can revisit the thread whenever u wish, if things develope, whether they be tomorrow or in 3months.

N

natalie stanley

Thanks 3fall - I'm just trying to ascertain if they could be linked that's all.

O

Old Mod

Thanks 3fall - I'm just trying to ascertain if they could be linked that's all.

Of course, and I understand, so if the issue continues, revisit the thread and try again when there will probably be fresh eyes on the problem.
The general opinion seems to be one of, not linked.
Without very specific information, it's very difficult to diagnose, I'm sure you're aware of that.
Maybe speak to your fitter, ask him to rectify perimeter joints, and whilst you are waitin try and collate more specific details on the noise you sometimes hear.
Your tiler is not gonna come tomorrow, so a day or two before he arrives, come back, hopefully with more info and we can try and suggest things he may inspect to help solve the problem.

It'd be great if u'd keep us updated tho, so that in the future when visitors see your thread, is always great to see thread with a conclusion.
Thanks.

N

natalie stanley

Of course, and I understand, so if the issue continues, revisit the thread and try again when there will probably be fresh eyes on the problem.
The general opinion seems to be one of, not linked.
Without very specific information, it's very difficult to diagnose, I'm sure you're aware of that.
Maybe speak to your fitter, ask him to rectify perimeter joints, and whilst you are waitin try and collate more specific details on the noise you sometimes hear.
Your tiler is not gonna come tomorrow, so a day or two before he arrives, come back, hopefully with more info and we can try and suggest things he may inspect to help solve the problem.

It'd be great if u'd keep us updated tho, so that in the future when visitors see your thread, is always great to see thread with a conclusion.
Thanks.
Thanks - will definitely come back and let you know the outcome. The tiler himself even suggested I get another opinion so that's why I came here initially.

O

Old Mod

Thanks - will definitely come back and let you know the outcome. The tiler himself even suggested I get another opinion so that's why I came here initially.

Thank u,
Well we don't limit the number of visits, u can come back as often as u need or want Natalie. :)

Reply to Cracked Grout in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apatel
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks