Discuss Contract of works - what should I put in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

L

lawrenso

Hi Guys

You may remember my last thread on the bathroom bodge-up. Well we appear to have found some new tilers (Finesse of Chester) however, I want to draw up a contract of works so there can be no disagreement in expectations before, during or after.

We are having 600*300 laid landscape in a standard pattern (no brick bond) with two strips of mosaics running horizontally round the room - one high and one low (see pictures in the thread I mentioned above) and two different colours of the tiles - with the light running through the centre and the mosaics bordering the light.

So - what can I put in a contract. So far I have

1. The Tilers are resposible for checking the levels of the walls before the job commences.

2. All tiles are to be fixed using a full bed of cement in adherance to the BS?

3. Lippage of Tiles - What should I put for this??

4. Mosaics are to be flush to surface of tiles - no undulation, standing proud or sunk, and no twisted individual Mosaics.

5. Grouting - Grouting is to be either flush to the face of the tiles or no lower than the slight chamfer on the edge of the tiles. What size grout line would be best with these tiles??

6. Mosaics are to be laid so as to ensure a good watertightness around the Shower Bath.

7. Tile Beading around door - Fixed so as not to interfere with the door ironmongery (hinges, latch etc..).

8. Cement to be used - The cement is to be suitable for large format Porcelain tiles fixed on plasterboard

9. Grout to be used - The grout has got to have a high element of resistance to water, mould and staining.

10. An on site inspection of a recent comparable job,

Now what else should I put down - Sealing corners? straightness of tiles - looking to you guys to help me avoid another disaster and need to get this to them by next weekend.

Cheers

Steve

L

lawrenso

Cheers Dave,

Hopefully I am going into this with everything down pat.

Cheers

Steve

L

Leatherface

Hi Lawrenso,
just a tip to cover yourself, check your mosaics in the boxes and make sure they have been webbed up correctly. From time to time ( depending upon where they have come from ) mosaics are supplied on the web badly twisted. Had one of these jobs recently.
As you are wanting a tip top job, you would be doing a dis service to your tiler in supplying him anything other than A1 mosaics, otherwise he may have to spend a dis proportionate amount of time cutting out individual mosaics and re positioning !!
If they are A1 then you will also be confident in flagging any problems with twisting once the tiles have been set.

You also mentioned plasterboard walls ? Cannot find thread, have you got a wet area to be tiled ? Is this to be tanked ?

Last edited by a moderator:
F

Fekin

n
Hi Guys

You may remember my last thread on the bathroom bodge-up. Well we appear to have found some new tilers (Finesse of Chester) however, I want to draw up a contract of works so there can be no disagreement in expectations before, during or after.

We are having 600*300 laid landscape in a standard pattern (no brick bond) with two strips of mosaics running horizontally round the room - one high and one low (see pictures in the thread I mentioned above) and two different colours of the tiles - with the light running through the centre and the mosaics bordering the light.

So - what can I put in a contract. So far I have

1. The Tilers are resposible for checking the levels of the walls before the job commences.

2. All tiles are to be fixed using a full bed of cement in adherance to the BS?

3. Lippage of Tiles - What should I put for this??

4. Mosaics are to be flush to surface of tiles - no undulation, standing proud or sunk, and no twisted individual Mosaics.

5. Grouting - Grouting is to be either flush to the face of the tiles or no lower than the slight chamfer on the edge of the tiles. What size grout line would be best with these tiles??

6. Mosaics are to be laid so as to ensure a good watertightness around the Shower Bath.

7. Tile Beading around door - Fixed so as not to interfere with the door ironmongery (hinges, latch etc..).

8. Cement to be used - The cement is to be suitable for large format Porcelain tiles fixed on plasterboard

9. Grout to be used - The grout has got to have a high element of resistance to water, mould and staining.

10. An on site inspection of a recent comparable job,

Now what else should I put down - Sealing corners? straightness of tiles - looking to you guys to help me avoid another disaster and need to get this to them by next weekend.

Cheers

Steve

I know you have had a bad experiance with a previous tilers and are now wanting to cover yourself for the second attempt, but if a customer came at me with a contract of work like this I would honestly walk, as the type of customer that would draw up a contract like this "in my own personal view" would be the pickiest one out there and most probably refuse payment for the slightest tiny "none conforming to contract" bit going.

Last edited by a moderator:
L

Leatherface

n

I know you have had a bad experiance with a previous tilers and are now wanting to cover yourself for the second attempt, but if a customer came at me with a contract of work like this I would honestly walk, as the type of customer that would draw up a contract like this "in my own personal view" would be the pickiest one out there and most probably refuse payment for the slightest tiny "none conforming to contract" bit going.

Was a bit unsure of saying as I did not want to sound negative, but I have to agree. Had one or two customers in the past who have appeared to be as you called it "picky" I declined to quote. This does not mean that I am in any way not confident in the quality of my work, but got the impression that they would go over the entire job with a microscope and find any excuse not to pay.
This happened to one of the tilers I worked with : His customer went around the bathroom after he had finished and :yikes: measured all the grout lines to check that they were 2mm as specified :yikes:

F

Fekin

The way I see it is anything anyone ever does be it tiling or anything else, will always be open to slight errors being found if the job is subject to enough scrutiny.

W

White Room

I've seen first class work but like Fekin says if you look close enough you will find something. It also depends on the quality of the materials your using as in tiles

L

Leatherface

Just another point : " tiler to check walls for level " ?
As a customer expecting a top class job, surely you should check and be responsible for ensuring that the walls are level prior to tiler commencing. You need to give the guy a fighting chance of doing that perfect job :thumbsup:

L

lawrenso

Hi Guys,

Understand where you are coming from with your comments - but as you can see I have been stung once - twice shy as the saying goes. I have already spoken to the tilers about doing a contract of works and they are happy with this.

The reason I have posted this is get your guys help to come up with something that is realistic.

ie - the lippage - I am asking what percentage I would be looking at to be reasonable along with other items.

I just want something down in writing to make sure that both ourselves and the tilers are working towards the same thing with no ambiguity.

For example - saying the reason the tiles are spot fixed is because the walls are out - after the job is nearly finished. Mosaics that are going to be 1cm above the bath meaning we would of had 1cm of grout or sealant down to the unless there was going to be a 6mm tile cut!!

I am sure that something like this would be specified by architects. All I want is a level playing field with all expectations laid out at the beginning.

This is going to cost me in the region of £1500 - £2000 to get the room redone - on top of the £1500 it has cost to get to this point. Plus more than likely me working the next 2 or 3 weekends to get the tiles off the wall and the walls made good again. Time I should be spending with my family seeing as though I am away all week.

we are not picky - just want a good job done - not the possible lethal bodge up that we have now.

I hope you guys understand.

Steve

W

White Room

Did'nt realise that kind of money was involved, I can see where your coming from now and wish you had mentioned this in your first post it may given different replys to your situation

L

Leatherface

Hi Guys,

Understand where you are coming from with your comments - but as you can see I have been stung once - twice shy as the saying goes. I have already spoken to the tilers about doing a contract of works and they are happy with this.

The reason I have posted this is get your guys help to come up with something that is realistic.

ie - the lippage - I am asking what percentage I would be looking at to be reasonable along with other items.

I just want something down in writing to make sure that both ourselves and the tilers are working towards the same thing with no ambiguity.

For example - saying the reason the tiles are spot fixed is because the walls are out - after the job is nearly finished. Mosaics that are going to be 1cm above the bath meaning we would of had 1cm of grout or sealant down to the unless there was going to be a 6mm tile cut!!

I am sure that something like this would be specified by architects. All I want is a level playing field with all expectations laid out at the beginning.

This is going to cost me in the region of £1500 - £2000 to get the room redone - on top of the £1500 it has cost to get to this point. Plus more than likely me working the next 2 or 3 weekends to get the tiles off the wall and the walls made good again. Time I should be spending with my family seeing as though I am away all week.

we are not picky - just want a good job done - not the possible lethal bodge up that we have now.

I hope you guys understand.

Steve
Fair point mate
as long as you can come up with something that is agreeable to both parties, good luck :thumbsup:

L

lawrenso

Just another point : " tiler to check walls for level " ?
As a customer expecting a top class job, surely you should check and be responsible for ensuring that the walls are level prior to tiler commencing. You need to give the guy a fighting chance of doing that perfect job :thumbsup:

Hi Leatherface

I know the walls were level before the last tiler started - I done all the prep work! However, nothing was written down - agreed to etc...I need it confirming from them so that cannot be used as an excuse for poor tiling. This is about protecting the tiler as much as me. The tilers have already agreed to come in and do this as well before starting the job - it is just getting it down in writing.

By the way - the tiles are Young Stones from CTD

Steve

L

Leatherface

Hi Leatherface

I know the walls were level before the last tiler started - I done all the prep work! However, nothing was written down - agreed to etc...I need it confirming from them so that cannot be used as an excuse for poor tiling. This is about protecting the tiler as much as me. The tilers have already agreed to come in and do this as well before starting the job - it is just getting it down in writing.

By the way - the tiles are Young Stones from CTD

Steve

To be honest, I feel for you mate, you shouldn't be in this situation in the first place

Reply to Contract of works - what should I put in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

There are similar tiling threads here

10 Tiling Tips for Fixing Tiles to Bathroom Walls = From UKTilingForum.co.uk There are a few...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

Replies you've not seen

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Teejay