Search the forum,

Discuss conservatory summer job in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

B

bradburytiling

Hi all,

Got a call from a friend of a friends mother today, she wants a conservatory built on the back of her house. And has asked me to manage it from start to finish. I will also be laying the bricks and blockwork as my career in construction started as a site bricklayer and progessed to tiling. (You can't bet laying bricks in the summer sun for a week!) Obviously i will be doing the tiling in the conservatory aswell. And farming out the glass work to a local company.
BUT....
what im not sure about is building regs as the conservatory she wants is a fair size, and also it needs to match the existing house floor level, which is a sursupended floor around 2m high to the existing garden level behind.
Does anyone know anything about this?
Any advice or links, i would be really grateful.
Obviously i dont want to apporach the council if i dont have to.

Cheers All!
Adrian

D

david campbell

not sure about the regulations but i know you will need planning permission!
there must be a fair amount of brickwork if you are coming up 2m to the existing floor level:drool5:

D

doug boardley

You dont need regs for a conservatory, its classed as a lean to.

:8:
I think it depends on the size Dom, if it's above 10% of existing building planning and building control is required. I might nip up to loft to dig out my HNC notes tho':lol:

B

bradburytiling

thats what i thought diamond tiling, as it has extrenal doors going in to it, but its the brick height issue as david cambell said, i wont be opening any existing house brick work up.
Im not reluctant to get building control involed, but i know you can do it with out even having to talk to them about it as long as your all legal. Expect i dont know the law in regards to size and brickwork height. I know its around 50 - 70 m3 including any existing extensions or garges.

D

doug boardley

have a look in Approved Document A, of building regs, you should find what you're looking for there:thumbsup:

Reply to conservatory summer job in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

The trustpilot reviews for tilers-world are excellent, but there's not a huge number of them...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen