Search the forum,

Discuss Closing cuts in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

I

Ian

I've always been of the opinion that closing cuts are a big no no, until recently I decided to put them into jobs to help with the layout and I'm now wondering why I've been against them for so long! This is my current job, it eliminates that extra grout line to the side of the door and I don't think it's even noticeable.
bcc7fd22e13ba1164b9b49d331779eed.jpg

D

Dougs Third Go

Done in the right circumstances I think they're fine Bri, I did one once above a doorway and the tiles were a sandstone effect so I cut a closer then also ran in some dummy diagonal cuts using wet cutter to make it look like a keystone. Customer loved it :)

I

Ian

Totally agree Doug, both times I've done it recently have been with 90x31cm tiles. Sometimes what seems wrong is actually the best solution aesthetically.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
I've always been of the opinion that closing cuts are a big no no, until recently I decided to put them into jobs to help with the layout and I'm now wondering why I've been against them for so long! This is my current job, it eliminates that extra grout line to the side of the door and I don't think it's even noticeable.
bcc7fd22e13ba1164b9b49d331779eed.jpg

Love the curved cut! Makes me feel like I'm in a spaceship :D Not sure why. haha

M

Millington Deco

Thanks Bri, thats what I thought it was, only possible with natural stone? Also what method did you use to cut that curve if you dont mind me asking?

T

Time's Ran Out

The photo doesn't actually show the effect of the closure as the original size tile is not shown!
However it is acceptable to use cut down sizes which enhance the look and not just pieces because it's easier.

Reply to Closing cuts in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen