Search the forum,

Discuss cleaning Epoxy grout tip in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

M

MTiler

Hi peeps

Im working on a job at the mo that requires black epoxy grout, deep joy :mad2:.
Wasnt looking forward to cleaning the stuff but I was given a tip by another tiler that has made it so much easier.
Instead of getting through umpteen celulose sponges I now use flannelette (cotton winceyette) rags. I wrap it around a sponge and just keep rinsing it, it works a treat, so much easier and quicker. A way that was suggested was to cut a piece about 1m2, wet it, lay it on the wall and drag it up the wall. Ive not yet tried that way.
As the material has a raised nap it collects the grout, and isnt smeary.
I have a newbie helping me on the job and she thought I'd lost the plot 'cos I was so exicited that the tip worked and made it easier. Its her first epoxy job!
If you dont have any old flannelette sheets to cut up its dead cheap in a material shop.

missyT

U

user123

Brilliant, just this minute come online for a brief visit and find yet more epoxy help, my new obsession - thanks Sharon! :thumbsup:

W

White Room

Hi peeps

Im working on a job at the mo that requires black epoxy grout, deep joy :mad2:.
Wasnt looking forward to cleaning the stuff but I was given a tip by another tiler that has made it so much easier.
Instead of getting through umpteen celulose sponges I now use flannelette (cotton winceyette) rags. I wrap it around a sponge and just keep rinsing it, it works a treat, so much easier and quicker. A way that was suggested was to cut a piece about 1m2, wet it, lay it on the wall and drag it up the wall. Ive not yet tried that way.
As the material has a raised nap it collects the grout, and isnt smeary.
I have a newbie helping me on the job and she thought I'd lost the plot 'cos I was so exicited that the tip worked and made it easier. Its her first epoxy job!
If you dont have any old flannelette sheets to cut up its dead cheap in a material shop.

Saw a tiler doing that over twenty years ago with standard floor grout, worked well.

M

MTiler

Brilliant, just this minute come online for a brief visit and find yet more epoxy help, my new obsession - thanks Sharon! :thumbsup:

I was also told that its possible to mix some clear washing up liquid with the epoxy grout to make it easier to apply. Never tried it myself, I'd be totally paranoid it'd affect the grout in a bad way.

missyT

U

user123

I was also told that its possible to mix some clear washing up liquid with the epoxy grout to make it easier to apply. Never tried it myself, I'd be totally paranoid it'd affect the grout in a bad way.

missyT

uurghhh :lol: but, considering I'm going to split some of my grout into small portions, I can play a little, it will be a while yet but will let you know the outcome! HOpe nobody is listening here.. :lol: I love experimenting though :thumbsup:

W

White Room

missyT

Personally I would'nt be mixing anything thats not recommended.

U

user123

Personally I would'nt be mixing anything thats not recommended.
Well, not on a 'proper' job, of course, but if you have a bit left over, just to see what happens? Maybe it's a Chinese whisper left over from mixing cement for pointing with a dash of washing up liquid...

W

White Room

Well, not on a 'proper' job, of course, but if you have a bit left over, just to see what happens? Maybe it's a Chinese whisper left over from mixing cement for pointing with a dash of washing up liquid...

I've known guys to thrown off jobs for mixing it with render.:oops:

U

user123

Poplular stuff, washing up liquid :lol: I used it myself for profile pointing on 2 cottages, worked great, and I have an open mind, with your own stuff you can experiment, with paying customers, it's a nono.. but the inventive spirit must live on! :smilewinkgrin:

Reply to cleaning Epoxy grout tip in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen