Search the forum,

Discuss chicken tiles in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Chalker

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Do you mean like these?

If so there are millions still fitted.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 132

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
They're not stone, this has been posted in the wrong forum category. I'll move it over.

Chicken tiles were made by Johnsons Tiles in the, what, 80's?

And accidentally the pattern on the front if put the right way up would look like chickens. Although they weren't meant to be, and some fitted them in a random direction, customers did used to complain and assume they were all meant to go with the chicken standing the right way up.

I'll try to find you a picture.

Some horrible colours back then. Seen loads of tiles on top of tiles in kitchens, and when you pulled off the first layer, chicken tiles were under them. I bet that's happening less and less these days though. I've not seen it mentioned for a long long time lol so you might just be the last!!

T

Time's Ran Out

Yep - just retiled a '70s cloakroom that had 108x108mm textured vein in pink! (4.25" in old money)

T

Time's Ran Out

Bit of both Dan - Johnsons Cristal made the 'chicken' textured vein range from the early 70s and Pilkingtons brought out a no pattern vein due to its success and innovative design!

Q

Qwerty

I always smile when I see a new refit job fixed with these as I know how easy they will come off!!!

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Ahhhh there you go then. Swear I saw them in the blue pilks packaging, and originally remembered some in white johnsons packaging. Lots and lots of dust on them. Back in the topps tiles days.

Notice the colour was taken from a sample of vomit in the picture. lol

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
I always smile when I see a new refit job fixed with these as I know how easy they will come off!!!

I'd fought with a fair few to be honest! Lath and plaster > BAL Primer > BAL Whitestar (or Grip was it back then before the new Grip came out agan?) - lethal combination. Replaced walls just to retile a splashback lol

T

Time's Ran Out

But as they've been on for some 40 years with tubbed adhesive, I think the customer got value for money.
We would often get to a site kitchen or bathroom after the painters and find the walls emulsioned! So either the Bal Tad adhesive or the emulsion had special properties.

M

Mr Tiler

Sorry to jump the thread but why do johnsons state they are a British manufacturer and then have 'made in china' stamped on? Anyoneone know? Cheers

Reply to chicken tiles in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

There are similar tiling threads here

• Poll
Hi, I have a small en-suite 1200 x 2400, with a 1200 x 900mm linear drain tray which will have...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
10 Tiling Tips for Fixing Tiles to Bathroom Walls = From UKTilingForum.co.uk There are a few...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen