Discuss chicken tiles in the Australia area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

W

White Room

But as they've been on for some 40 years with tubbed adhesive, I think the customer got value for money.
We would often get to a site kitchen or bathroom after the painters and find the walls emulsioned! So either the Bal Tad adhesive or the emulsion had special properties.

The site agent was'nt organised then....

afright

TF
Reaction score
Did hundreds of bathrooms using Johnson crystal vein tiles 4 1/4 " x 4 1/4 ",72 to the sq yd,they did do them in 6" as well .Them and the Cameo range was what was mostly fixed in the 70s you could easy do a bathroom a day,and yes fixed with the old bal tad.

T

The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP

Did hundreds of bathrooms using Johnson crystal vein tiles 4 1/4 " x 4 1/4 ",72 to the sq yd,they did do them in 6" as well .Them and the Cameo range was what was mostly fixed in the 70s you could easy do a bathroom a day,and yes fixed with the old bal tad.

As above, spot on in every aspect, full bathroom in a day Bal Tad etc.:thumbsup:

T

Time's Ran Out

Do you remember how they were boxed - 36 to a half yard with cardboard every 12 tiles!
Well I tell my son of the time I had to grout in one of my bosses bathrooms!
Not the textured vein tile but the 'donkey brown' plain colour- yes that was its actual name and as the colour was the same as the cardboard packing spacers, every 12th tile on the wall was a piece of cardboard - 24 sq yards he'd done in the day and it took me another day to rake the Bal Tad out of his joints and replace all the cardboard with tiles. All for £15.00 per week!
Dont get much more now but at least I don't have to grout in any one else's 'tiling'.

T

The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP

Do you remember how they were boxed - 36 to a half yard with cardboard every 12 tiles!
Not the textured vein tile but the 'donkey brown' plain colour- yes that was its actual name and as the colour was the same as the cardboard packing spacers, every 12th tile on the wall was a piece of cardboard - 24 sq yards he'd done in the day and it took me another day to rake the Bal Tad out of his joints and replace all the cardboard with tiles. All for £15.00 per week!
Dont get much more now but at least I don't have to grout in any one else's 'tiling'.

I remember Donkey Brown TJ. But £15.00 per week, you were lucky I was on 3 Pounds 7s and 6d per month:lol:

T

Time's Ran Out

I remember Donkey Brown TJ. But £15.00 per week, you were lucky I was on 3 Pounds 7s and 6d per month:lol:

Yes but you could buy a tin of Hovis for 1d and still have change for a new bike to push up the hills around Oldham on your paper round!
Bet you still wear the flat cap and clogs in an evening?

afright

TF
Reaction score
Did a big job once using Donkey brown 6 x 6 about 50 sq yds with another tiler grouted in white got back to the yard the boss had a phone call ,it should have been grouted in buff not are fault so we was sent back next day to remove the grout and regrout in buff ,the tiler I was with said wont be a minute he came back with a big tin of mustard powder he made a slurry and we covered the grout joints with it,and it worked spent the rest of the day on Brighton seafront with pay.

T

Time's Ran Out

Had a similar issue with 6 inch solitaire in about 1980. Went back to a job to do more work and couldn't remember using a yellow grout in the kitchen and it transpired she'd been cleaning them down with dusters! Grouts were prone to accepting moisture in the 'good old days'!

T

Tom Flahive

Have I just stripped out a kitchen of the last chicken tiles ever in the uk,please say yes.
by the way if any one would like a souvenir they are on ebay,whip over and grab a bargain:smilewinkgrin:
I can't find them on Ebay. I need brown veined "chicken tiles" pilkingtons.

Reply to chicken tiles in the Australia area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Northern Tiler
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks