Search the forum,

Discuss Ceramic tiles in a shower in the Tanking and Wetrooms area at TilersForums.com.

F

Flintstone

What's your thoughts on it ? Just been talking with a customer about there up coming bathroom and ensuite re fits and I advised them against using ceramics, rightly or wrongly.

D

Dumbo

What's your thoughts on it ? Just been talking with a customer about there up coming bathroom and ensuite re fits and I advised them against using ceramics, rightly or wrongly.
Why I've done loads of ceramic installations with out any problems .

F

Flintstone

Even tho they soak water up like a sponge ? I would just rather not fit them, although I have done loads of times

B

Blunt Tool

Nothing wrong with ceramics in a domestic shower if done right. Seen some whilst ripping out an absolute pain and dry as a bone!

Reaction score
Correct me if I am wrong. Most ceramics have a glazed surface - that is waterproof. Yes, water soaks back through grout if not epoxy, but I think Deano tested and found you had to soak grout for seven hours before water permeated through to sub strata. And of course, water soaking through grout can also cause biscuit back of tile to soak up water.

Porcelain is not waterproof. Virtually all porcelain sold these days is sealed by the factory manufacturing them, but some of the more upmarket tile retailers suggest resealing porcelain periodically.

Discuss? (My info is second hand).

H

hmtiling

Correct me if I am wrong. Most ceramics have a glazed surface - that is waterproof. Yes, water soaks back through grout if not epoxy, but I think Deano tested and found you had to soak grout for seven hours before water permeated through to sub strata. And of course, water soaking through grout can also cause biscuit back of tile to soak up water.

Porcelain is not waterproof. Virtually all porcelain sold these days is sealed by the factory manufacturing them, but some of the more upmarket tile retailers suggest resealing porcelain periodically.

Discuss? (My info is second hand).
I thought porcelain and epoxy had a very similar absorption rate of less than 0.5%. which i suppose means neither are waterproof? These amounts are definitely negligible though

H

hmtiling

It's my understanding that for tiling purposes both porc and epoxy are waterproof as the rate at which they absorb water is so small

Reply to Ceramic tiles in a shower in the Tanking and Wetrooms area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen