Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Ceramic tiles in a shower in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

F

Flintstone

What's your thoughts on it ? Just been talking with a customer about there up coming bathroom and ensuite re fits and I advised them against using ceramics, rightly or wrongly.

D

Dumbo

What's your thoughts on it ? Just been talking with a customer about there up coming bathroom and ensuite re fits and I advised them against using ceramics, rightly or wrongly.
Why I've done loads of ceramic installations with out any problems .

F

Flintstone

Even tho they soak water up like a sponge ? I would just rather not fit them, although I have done loads of times

B

Blunt Tool

Nothing wrong with ceramics in a domestic shower if done right. Seen some whilst ripping out an absolute pain and dry as a bone!

Reaction score
Correct me if I am wrong. Most ceramics have a glazed surface - that is waterproof. Yes, water soaks back through grout if not epoxy, but I think Deano tested and found you had to soak grout for seven hours before water permeated through to sub strata. And of course, water soaking through grout can also cause biscuit back of tile to soak up water.

Porcelain is not waterproof. Virtually all porcelain sold these days is sealed by the factory manufacturing them, but some of the more upmarket tile retailers suggest resealing porcelain periodically.

Discuss? (My info is second hand).

H

hmtiling

Correct me if I am wrong. Most ceramics have a glazed surface - that is waterproof. Yes, water soaks back through grout if not epoxy, but I think Deano tested and found you had to soak grout for seven hours before water permeated through to sub strata. And of course, water soaking through grout can also cause biscuit back of tile to soak up water.

Porcelain is not waterproof. Virtually all porcelain sold these days is sealed by the factory manufacturing them, but some of the more upmarket tile retailers suggest resealing porcelain periodically.

Discuss? (My info is second hand).
I thought porcelain and epoxy had a very similar absorption rate of less than 0.5%. which i suppose means neither are waterproof? These amounts are definitely negligible though

Reaction score
I thought porcelain and epoxy had a very similar absorption rate of less than 0.5%. which i suppose means neither are waterproof? These amounts are definitely negligible though
I haven't a clue about that. But I am interested in finding out.

H

hmtiling

It's my understanding that for tiling purposes both porc and epoxy are waterproof as the rate at which they absorb water is so small

B

Blunt Tool

Everyone and everything on this earth is made of atoms, there are 3 types, protons, neutrons and electrons so if we find out once and for all if any are bloody waterproof eureka we will find the one and only true answer, and tell the tile and adhesive manufacturers which one to use! :)

F

Flintstone

Porcelain are pretty much water proof in that water wouldn't pass through them I don't think, or soak into them. If water can get into the wall, it can certainly get into the biscuit of a ceramic tile. I'm sure I read somewhere that you can't use crackle glaze in a wet area as it will let water in to the tile

O

One Day

Everyone and everything on this earth is made of atoms, there are 3 types, protons, neutrons and electrons so if we find out once and for all if any are bloody waterproof eureka we will find the one and only true answer, and tell the tile and adhesive manufacturers which one to use! :)

I thought Protons neutrons and electrons are constituent parts of atoms, not types of atoms themselves.
Then again, I'm just a tiler...

Q

Qwerty

I know most porcs have an extremely low absorption rate so don't soak up water (<0.5%) whereas ceramics soak up water like a sponge.

I will conduct an experiment this weekend to demonstrate!

Reply to Ceramic tiles in a shower in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apatel
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks