Search the forum,

Discuss Centering vs Different Cuts to a Full Tile in a corner? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

sWe

WOW!! what can i say to follow that! very informative. I think ill stick with my measuring gauge. :lol:

Surely that's cheating? :thumbsup:

Seriously, if one gets the hang of these formulas, which only look complicated because of all the text, it takes only as long to do as it takes to measure what ever it is that you want to measure, pressing a few buttons on a calculator, and drawing a few marks; five minutes at the most for an entire bathroom! You'd have to try real hard to screw up :)

R

robsmith28

I did wonder about how people find the center too...in an old house like mine there can be a significant difference in width between top and bottom. I decided to take the eye-level measurement and go from there, if that had left me with small cuts at the top I probably would have adjusted and taken the width at the top.

**** DISCLAIMER - I HAVE NOT GOT A CLUE WHETHER THIS IS THE RIGHT THING TO DO OR NOT - I HAVE NEVER TILED BEFORE SATURDAY!!! ****

G

grumpygrouter

I have just sat and read through sWe's post. Is this not just standard setting out procedure? It seems to be pretty much in line with what I was taught on my course. Just looks difficult when you try and write it down.

Grumpy

F

Fekin

I have been fine with just choosing a point to center a wall and stick with that, and the most I have ever had to contend with is a 3 or 4 mm difference between top and bottom end tile width max, and never had a wall run out or in bad enough to have any problems.

F

frogeye

Best aid for measuring/centering is the tried and trusted method of measure twice and cut once.
Or measure 40 to 50 times and cut once if you're like me,

Get a Stanley Fat Max 8m metric both edges tape (took me ages to find one), use the PTS Beano masking tape calculator method and you can't go wrong. :yes:

So a customer can ask for even cuts, but if the focal is the window then tough.
frogeye

S

sWe

I have just sat and read through sWe's post. Is this not just standard setting out procedure? It seems to be pretty much in line with what I was taught on my course. Just looks difficult when you try and write it down.

Grumpy

Which is pretty much what I have stated previously; it just looks difficult because of all the text :)

I wrote this particular approach down, because there's almost always more than one or two ways to solve a problem, some of which are more useful than others. Surely there must be a few tilers out there who at the very least don't understand principles behind this particular approach. Explaining is bound to help someone. Isn't this one of the main points of this forum; sharing knowledge and experience of the trade, even though that which is shared seems obvious to some? :)

Cheers.

Last edited by a moderator:
G

grumpygrouter

Which is pretty much what I have stated previously; it just looks difficult because of all the text :)

I wrote this particular approach down, because there's almost always more than one or two ways to solve a problem, some of which are more useful than others. Surely there must be a few tilers out there who at the very least don't understand principles behind this particular approach. Explaining is bound to help someone. Isn't this one of the main points of this forum; sharing knowledge and experience of the trade, even though that which is shared seems obvious to some? :)

Cheers.
I wasn't being critical of your post sWe, just that looking at some of the other responses, I thought people were maybe looking a bit too deep at what you said. Your input is very valuable as it comes from a completely different perspective to what we normally have. I was only trying to point out that I thought this was standard setting out procedure, the way that I had been taught. Really opening the door for more debate in case others had different methods that they wanted to share. Please don't take my post the wrong way.:thumbsup:

Grumpy

S

sWe

I wasn't being critical of your post sWe, just that looking at some of the other responses, I thought people were maybe looking a bit too deep at what you said. Your input is very valuable as it comes from a completely different perspective to what we normally have. I was only trying to point out that I thought this was standard setting out procedure, the way that I had been taught. Really opening the door for more debate in case others had different methods that they wanted to share. Please don't take my post the wrong way.:thumbsup:

Grumpy

Perhaps I formulated myself as such, but I wasn't ticked off or anything. In fact, what I meant was that I agree with you, but then I probably got a bit caught up in elaborating my thoughts, and my message was obfuscated or something... See, there I go again. :mad2: :lol: So, sorry for shoddy penmanship. My bad.

Cheers.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Centering vs Different Cuts to a Full Tile in a corner? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen