Search the forum,

Discuss Can you help solve conflicting advice re adhesive depth? in the Tile Adhesive / Grout Advice area at TilersForums.com.

Reaction score
I've got an AKW Tuff form shower tray with a waste that is 10mm above the tray when fully screwed in. The Tiler laid my 5mm hex mosaic tiles on a 2mm bed, so obvs wasn't going to drain.

I took them back up and spoke to AKW, who recommended I put down a 3mm bed adhesive, let it go off and then re-lay tiles on a 2mm bed applied at 90 degrees to the first one. BUT - the tiler says it's v hard to follow the profile of a tray with an adhesive spreader, and also that a thicker 5mm adhesive bed will come up and interfere with the grout.

So what to do? Feels like I can
a) instruct the tiler to lay the mosaic mats on a 5mm bed (or 3mm bed with 2mm on the mosaic mats) and hope for the best
b) Put down a 3mm bed as suggested by AKW and hope I can follow the profile evenly
or c) If what the tiler says is true about the skill needed to use a tile spreader, find some kind of 3mm mesh to guide an even application
At the moment I feel like my best bet is option b) because the tiler dislikes a) and I can't see a product that would satisfy c)...

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Got any pictures of the said area?

Usually need a full bed of adhesive (so no air pockets after pressing tile down) from a thick-bed solid-bed trowel. Usually large round notches in them.

What bed thickness it leaves then though, not sure. A few mm at least so could you not just use a decent round notch trowel?

This is a special trowel to leave more adhesive down to get a good solid bed.

Reaction score
Got any pictures of the said area?

Usually need a full bed of adhesive (so no air pockets after pressing tile down) from a thick-bed solid-bed trowel. Usually large round notches in them.

What bed thickness it leaves then though, not sure. A few mm at least so could you not just use a decent round notch trowel?

This is a special trowel to leave more adhesive down to get a good solid bed.

sheeted mosaics are usually laid on a 3mm notch and flattened with a good ol squeegeeeee... sorry did not mean to quote "dan" oooppps

Last edited:

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Mosaic mats so sorry I missed that! That's rushing and not reading it correctly. My bad! 😃 😀 😄

Reply to Can you help solve conflicting advice re adhesive depth? in the Tile Adhesive / Grout Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen