Search the forum,

Discuss Can I put UFH heating over resin shower tray & plywood? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

B

Bucks.

Hi Guys (1st time post)

I am about to embark on a wet room project on our house,
The room is 1.8m x 1.6m, we are planning on using some sort of resin shower tray possibly 1200mm x 1200mm Marmox showerstone or Tuff 2, building up the surrounding floor with plywood to get the floor flush with the tray.
So my question is can we put UFH over the shower tray & the plywood, we are not using insulation boards or a foam shower tray due to possible point load issues with 2" mosaics,
The floor is floorboards on joists, so I plan to insulate between the joists with kingspan.

Any help & advice would be much appreciated.

T

tfs

Hi mate,

I would go for backer board in a wetroom and be sure to tank too.

My preference would be to use mat around the former instead of going over it. chancea re if your standing on that part of the floor you will have hot water running over you anyway.

Mouldy

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Ive done wet areas using Impey formers and run Warmup and Devimat UFH over them with no problems. Helps dry the floor quicker too!

T

tfs

If you are using ply just be sure to put membrane over full area, former and floor. Tape all joins and internal corners etc.

T

tfs

I would fit the base to suit your finnished substrate height whenever possible

Last edited by a moderator:
B

Bucks.

Thanks guys for your quick replys,
I realise it will all need tanking, we are planning on using the Marmox Backerboards on all the walls, & tanking the floor with some sort of membrane (thats probably another question)
We are wanting to put UFH on the tray as the tray is going to cover the bulk of the floor because we are not planning on putting in a shower screen.

Mouldy

TF
Arms
Reaction score
If its your first time at this I'd use the Impey system. Its not cheap but it is pretty fool proof. Formers are 22mm thick and very easy to fit. Membrane comes on a roll, (5 or 10 square meters), and is self adhesive, it can also be tiled the same day as there is no drying time. Back up and tech help is pretty good too if its needed.

T

tfs

good advice from mouldy regarding contacting technical department.

You should be fine putting electric mat over former but I would check with the manufacturer of the membrane you intend to use just incase there could be any issues.

Mouldy

TF
Arms
Reaction score
No issues with Impey, I can vouch for that having done it. Cant vouch for other systems but know it has been done

B

Bucks.

Thanks again for the replies,
Mouldy the Impey system is not going to be suitable for us, as you cant trim much of the trays (we have a corner to cut out 6"x4") the tuff2 says it can be trimmed & cut, not sure on the Marmox showerstone.
I'm not looking for an easy anyone can do diy kit, I am wanting the best possible job that will last pretty much forever, which I am more than capable of doing, once I iron out all the ins & outs if you get my gist.

Reply to Can I put UFH heating over resin shower tray & plywood? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen