Search the forum,

Discuss Building a full height boxing at end of bath for niches in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

SJPurdy

Looks very good to me.
I like the sill and worktop complementing each other (and the black bits in the mosaic) but being in contrast to the tiling. I can see that the basin could have been/be better if a little further to the right, but then you would be standing with the side of your leg closer to the toilet pan! Wont this look better and balanced with a mirror on the wall to match the basin?
I would be cautious of going to dark on the floor as with the bath side also being dark.. but then that is a personal subjective opinion based on photos not the actual light levels in the bathroom. The thing that is not really to my taste is the dark bath side which doesn't, to me, add or match anything - I think I would have preferred it to follow on as the walls or even the existing floor.
Again I say that I think it looks very good, well done.

R

Ricky D

Hi thanks for your comments SJP, I agree when I do get the mirror fitted, lined up with the basin, will look much better. At the moment I just want to get all the background tiling complete then will finish with cabinets/mirrors/fixtures etc.

The bath side is actually the floor tiles following up onto the side of the bath. Because they are side on, and not facing the light they look much darker, when the light is off it all looks the same. I personally quite like the floor tiles following up to the side of the bath but definately want to change the floor tiles and therefore the tiles on side of the bath.

What would you do in terms of floor tile now then? I'm struggling to think what will go with both the wall tiles, and the dark quartz worktop?

S

SJPurdy

The bath side is actually the floor tiles following up onto the side of the bath. Because they are side on, and not facing the light they look much darker, when the light is off it all looks the same. I personally quite like the floor tiles following up to the side of the bath but definately want to change the floor tiles and therefore the tiles on side of the bath.
That's the problem with giving opinions based on photo's - the bath side and floor look totally different!
Taking the bath side tiles off will probably require replacing the wedi board behind as well. the floor tiles also appear to go under the box work (basin toilet end) so it will be quite a bit of work!

R

Ricky D

Yes it will - but it needs to be done!

Have my tiler coming this weekend to take the floor up and bath side off with the minimum of fuss and doing any remedial work required. He will also be relaying the floor.

Think he will cut around the perimeter of the floor and then taking it up from there.

Just need to decide what he is re-laying!!! Any recommendations what to do with the floor?

R

Ricky D

Main thing im debating is what colour of tile to go with, what shape, and layout pattern.

In the pic under the sink you can just about see one of the sample tiles i got which i quite like, its darker, and shiny grey (opposed to what looks like matt grey concrete now) rectangulat tiles and was thinking 3/4 bond would look a bit more modern than the current lay?

O

Old Mod

Main thing im debating is what colour of tile to go with, what shape, and layout pattern.

In the pic under the sink you can just about see one of the sample tiles i got which i quite like, its darker, and shiny grey (opposed to what looks like matt grey concrete now) rectangulat tiles and was thinking 3/4 bond would look a bit more modern than the current lay?

Get yourself a couple of plain grey polished Porcelthin 1800 X 900,
To co ordinate with the grey mosaic.
Nice and plain with maybe one joint, depending on floor size.
Don't need anything fussy, just plain, u e enough going on elsewhere!

image.jpeg

R

Ricky D

Thanks 3_fall I really like the colour

Problem is the floor space is actually tiny so think those tiles might be a bit too big?

If I went for that style/colour of tile but smaller like the existing ones, and maybe lay them 3/4 bond as its a bit more modern? Or do it brick bond like the mosaics to match?

Apologies for all the questions it's the first time i've done my own bathroom and need the inspiration!

O

Old Mod

There's nothing 'modern' about brick bond tbh.
'Modern' now is as few joints as possible, to give appearance of a sheet
Or slab covering.
That's why I suggested large format, so floor doesn't look too busy, personally for me, u have enough going on on the walls.
What is actuall floor dimension?
Does the bath go end to end between the walls?

O

Old Mod

From what I can see from pic, looks about 900 wide by the sink and definately smaller than 1800 long. So effectively u'd need just two tiles. One for floor, one for bath.
U'd have complete coverage with no joints!
Sounds perfect to me.

Reply to Building a full height boxing at end of bath for niches in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen