Discuss Building a full height boxing at end of bath for niches in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

R

Ricky D

Maybe mosaic for backs of niches AND reveals would look better? Or you think wall tiles for reveals?

O

Old Mod

Hi Ricky welcome to the forum!

Only my personal opinion, but I'd do the whole niche in your wall tile,
If you're going to add lighting and mosaic and a whole host of toiletries. On completion it could look very busy in a small space in amongst neutral tones.
I'd tile as per wall and add lighting, (and maybe just loose lay a piece in the back first) then stand back and form an opinion, mosaic can be added afterwards if u think it still needs lifting.
But that's just me :)

Good luck.

P

p4ulo

Agree with not using Mosaic on reveals, but great idea ref dry lay just to see what looks best.
Deffo put a single downlighter in a coupe if you can. Trouble with LEDS (strips) is the drivers are expected to fail and be replaced, which means a further removable section you'll need to hide the drivers in.
Simple pool lights pull out forwards so no worries about access.

Hmm, a mirror behind the toilet? Do you want to look at yourself using the toilet?

C'mon P4ulo, no bad language in public forums mate!!

Last edited by a moderator:
S

SJPurdy

personally I'm not so keen on the niches especially when asked to put them in "wet" areas - all those unnecessary extra corner joints as potential failures (untidy/dirty silicone etc). In the original example (post) I would keep the room as large as possible above the granit box top/shelf rather than make the room smaller just to add a niche!

R

Ricky D

personally I'm not so keen on the niches especially when asked to put them in "wet" areas - all those unnecessary extra corner joints as potential failures (untidy/dirty silicone etc). In the original example (post) I would keep the room as large as possible above the granit box top/shelf rather than make the room smaller just to add a niche!

I thought the same at first, but the problem is it looked a bit bare and boring, plus there was no storage whatsoever!

R

Ricky D

Agree with not using Mosaic on reveals, but great idea ref dry lay just to see what looks best.
Deffo put a single downlighter in a coupe if you can. Trouble with LEDS (strips) is the drivers are expected to fail and be replaced, which means a further removable section you'll need to hide the drivers in.
Simple pool lights pull out forwards so no worries about access.

Hmm, a mirror behind the toilet? Do you want to look at yourself using the toilet?

C'mon P4ulo, no bad language in public forums mate!!

Ok thanks i'll avoid the LED strip then, and google the pool lights.

Re: mirror on back wall, obviously we need one above the sink - what would you do?

R

Ricky D

Hi Ricky welcome to the forum!

Only my personal opinion, but I'd do the whole niche in your wall tile,
If you're going to add lighting and mosaic and a whole host of toiletries. On completion it could look very busy in a small space in amongst neutral tones.
I'd tile as per wall and add lighting, (and maybe just loose lay a piece in the back first) then stand back and form an opinion, mosaic can be added afterwards if u think it still needs lifting.
But that's just me :)

Good luck.

Cheers I'll have a little mock-up when the niches are all boarded.

Not done anymore as i'm not massively confident with the setting out of these niches. I think the top one should maybe be in line with the top of the window and space them evenly like that, possibly also 3 is too many? Perhaps 2 bigger ones instead?

Sorry for all the questions and design pointers - just want to get it looking as good as possible!

O

Old Mod

Cheers I'll have a little mock-up when the niches are all boarded.

Not done anymore as i'm not massively confident with the setting out of these niches. I think the top one should maybe be in line with the top of the window and space them evenly like that, possibly also 3 is too many? Perhaps 2 bigger ones instead?

Sorry for all the questions and design pointers - just want to get it looking as good as possible!

U ask away, that's why we're here!
And we enjoy it anyway! Haha

Less is more! :D
Less external edges to worry about too! Haha

Looking at it quickly I'd probably suggest first full tile down under window and miss a tile then next full tile.
That keeps it fairly even between the lines of the window.

R

Ricky D

Haha thanks I appreciate it.

So if I understand correctly you are basically suggesting having 2 niches, and both are between the head and sill of the window, with a full tile gap between them?

I do think that would look better the 3 that have been framed out for look a bit busy and there just for the sake of it.

O

Old Mod

Yeah, but that's just my take.
But for me, if they're kept to tile size then it looks like a replacement tile,
And a definite decision!
Sometimes they look like an afterthought!
No L cuts to deal with and maximum size pieces makes them easier to make watertight!
That's if niches are your thing,
Personally wouldn't have them but many do!
Definitely make it look like they're there by design and not because the 'Mrs' likes the idea! Haha no offence Mrs D! :)

P

p4ulo

Yeah, 2 Niches then, some good ideas ref the setting out already said too.
Dunno ref Mirror.....just stick to the one above the sink.
As I say, would you really want to be able to look at yourself using the toilet?

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Sounds like personal preference here. And we're not taking the brunt of the mrs not liking something so man up and decide yourself haha

R

Ricky D

ok cheers guys really helpful...i'll post pics when it's all finished.

Paulo, the finished 'worktop' will be about 850mm, its just over waist height so it won't be so bad!

As an aside, what do you think I should do the bath side panels in? the grey tile from the floor or the wall tiles? I'm going to stand them up soldier course style...

P

p4ulo

Wall tiles for bath panel matey.
(good news ref worktop height, but you'll still be able to "see")

O

Old Mod

As an aside, what do you think I should do the bath side panels in? the grey tile from the floor or the wall tiles? I'm going to stand them up soldier course style...

Stand outside the door and look at room as a whole, that might help your decision on how u want to view the bath!

Reply to Building a full height boxing at end of bath for niches in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

Replies you've not seen

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bob Marley