Discuss Building a full height boxing at end of bath for niches in the Australia area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

R

Ricky D

Hi all

New member here!

Currently trying to finish off the bathroom part of a full house refurbishment - this has been the trickiest area to design and get right so far!

The bathroom is small square shaped, 2m x 2m with an L-shaped shower/bath next to a large window, with the WC and wall mounted sink at the back all built into a boxing.

My question is this...we were going to box the bath gap in and take it all the way across to accomodate the sink and toilet, with a granite top and tiled, is it worth taking the box behind the bath up to the ceiling in order to create niches for storage? Or is this just a waste of space?!

Any advice on design would be greatly appreciated!

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
I guess it's personal preference to be honest. Do you have any pictures?

Welcome to the forum by the way. :)

P

p4ulo

Just be mindful of it making the room appear dark if it blocks light from the window?
I've done it several times to incorporate plumbing / shower at end of bath etc so if you want to, it can be done.
also, if you are doing Niches, you can add some feature lighting to increase the light if needed?
Photos......

R

Ricky D

image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    959 KB · Views: 59
P

p4ulo

Yeah, that'll look great. Deffo add a light in there if you can? Or a mirror at the back of the niche?

jobdone

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
Go for the niche, it will look good try to set out so that it is the height of o tile and the joints flow round avoiding L cuts

R

Ricky D

Thanks guys I'll stick with the boxing and niches then!

The plan is to put granite on the window sill, and as little shelves in the niches

Will tile the backs with a mosaic and then the space above sink and toilet maybe fill the whole back of wall with a big mirror?

R

Ricky D

Lovely cheers

Was thinking of having led strip light going around the back of it?

Tile the back first then put the strip in and tile the reveals up to the light at the back?

R

Ricky D

So it's been framed out for 3 niches

Overkill? 2 looked a bit bare I thought

And do you think full mirror is a good idea? Maybe a stone upstand to match the 'worktop' and the rest glass?

C

cbmltd

Good idea these are just decking lights,the wire can be cut and re attached for easier fitting and completely waterproof.cheap but effective can also be bought in different colors I.e blue and green for mood lighting if connected to their own switch good luck anyway and post pics of end result.

C

cbmltd

Mirrors look great but so does stone.mirrors can age with time though and be a nightmare to keep clean.
I would defo go for something different on the backs though.

R

Ricky D

On the backs of the recesses/niches I was going to put a mosaic in, do the same tile as walls for the reveals, and a piece of granite for the bottom shelf bit in each one

The mirror was for the whole bit of wall to the right above the sink and toilet

Reply to Building a full height boxing at end of bath for niches in the Australia area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks