Discuss Broken tile. Could a tiler replace it without breaking others? in the America area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
Hello, we have recently had some carpet fitters in who have done a great job but have accidentally broken a kitchen tile.

The carpet fitters have contacted a builder who thinks it's too risky to remove the cracked tile due to the risk of breaking others and so he has proposed that he could fit a piece of wood along the doorway to cover the broken tile. I'd rather though the tile was replaced as it would look better (we have a replacement tile that's just the right colour).

So question is do you think a tiler would have a tough time safely replacing the cracked tile or should we let the builder put a piece of wood over the top?

FYI the tiles are on the thinner side.

Attachments

• 20230926_192934~2.JPG
    618.5 KB · Views: 29
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. Just what I wanted to hear. Fingers crossed I can get a tiler in as its not the biggest of jobs.

Kastar UK

Arms
Reaction score
Maybe is just the photo but the two at the door do not look to match the others to begin and the grout lines look odd ?
The electrician was drilling holes for down lights , the harbour came out of his drill and hit the tiles and bounced into the cabinet doors :(
Is not a big job , but get the wrong tiler and one wrong move , and it could turn into one ,with a doorway full of chipped tiles.
Maybe now the door trim causes a problem to fit a new tile

The picture tells a story , the did not want to plane the door so banjo the carpet trim and cracked a badly fitted tile ..
Good luck hope you get it sorted

Last edited:
Reaction score
Yes two of the tiles had previously been replaced. This time the carpet fitter was ripping up an old doorway threshold and cought the tile on the way up. As it could be a tricky job and it's not the biggest of jobs I haven't had much interest. Luckily the carpet fitter knows a tiler who's going to give it a go by the sounds of it

Kastar UK

Arms
Reaction score
It might come out real easy , it might not , difficult to say from here.
All the grout needs raking out , the stress through the tile and grout can blow the next tile while removing the last bits if not careful ,thinking the grout will just break up can sometimes be a mistake
Breaking it out would be the easiest ,tidiest but also risky to chip the others
Grinding it out or cutting it out like mentioned is the best way to avoid damaging the others but will create a lot of dust indoors .
Couple of hanging dust sheets to try contain some of the dust or be cleaning up for weeks .

Reaction score
Got a gent around that did a cracking job. No idea how he went about it as I didn't want to get in his way but he smashed it out in under an hour

Attachments

• 20230929_135355.JPG
    487.7 KB · Views: 22

Rutters

TF
Reaction score
Got a gent around that did a cracking job. No idea how he went about it as I didn't want to get in his way but he smashed it out in under an hour
Clearly not the same tiles. Smaller size and shade, however tiler has done a decent job considering the tile size difference. Glad you got it sorted 👍

Reply to Broken tile. Could a tiler replace it without breaking others? in the America area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apatel
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks