Search the forum,

Discuss British Standards ? Set me straight please ? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

L

Leatherface

Just a link to help people know some idea whats the cost BS 5385-2:2006

What about :

BS 5385-1:1995 AND
BS 8000-11.1:1989 AND
BS 8000-11.2:1990 AND
Any others I may not be aware of, could be very costly to keep up to date

These all seem to pertain to different aspects of tiling, stone, working on buliding sites etc !
Actually how many are there ?

Last edited by a moderator:
L

Leatherface

Found this on website :
"What is a standard?
A standard is a published document that contains a technical specification or other precise criteria designed to be used consistently as a rule, guideline, or definition. Standards help to make life simpler and to increase the reliability and the effectiveness of many goods and services we use. They are a summary of best practice and are created by bringing together the experience and expertise of all interested parties – the producers, sellers, buyers, users and regulators of a particular material, product, process or service.

Standards are designed for voluntary use and do not impose any regulations. However, laws and regulations may refer to certain standards and make compliance with them compulsory. For example, the physical characteristics and format of credit cards is set out in standard number BS EN ISO/IEC 7810:1996. Adhering to this standard means that the cards can be used worldwide.

Any standard is a collective work. Committees of manufacturers, users, research organizations, government departments and consumers work together to draw up standards that evolve to meet the demands of society and technology. British Standards staff act as secretaries to these committees and project manage the production of standards. As the world’s oldest National Standards Body, BSI has over 100 years’ experience of bringing together these often very varied viewpoints and facilitating consensus.

Electrotechnical standards are harmonized internationally by the International Organization for Standardization (ISO) and the International Electrotechnical Commission (IEC). The British Electrotechnical Committee (BEC), working closely with BSI ensures that the views of British industry are represented in Europe and worldwide.

To give you an idea of the scope of British Standards' work, around 2,000 new and revised standards area published each year and some 1,350 technical committees and working groups covering 20,000 standards are supported."
-------------------------------------------------------

Do not know what laws are actually in place to make British Standards legally binding to our industry, other than an advisable best practice.

W

White Room

I think Garythetiler put a post on this and it would cost about £750 to get all the booklets you need:yikes:

L

Leatherface

Me for one ain't gonna shell out that kind of money unless it becomes law !!
This then raises an earlier point that there is little use people quoting British Standards unless they are fully familiar with "ALL of them. To quote selective paragraphs is little use if you may not be fully adhering to ALL of the other ones, would still be negligent in terms in other areas !

B

bigandy

£750 to be told how to do your job propperly, or come on here and ask for free :hurray:
I CAN JUST SEE IT NOW
JUDGE:-" SO WHERE BIGANDY DID IT SAY YOU COULD PARADE UP AND DOWN THE TOWN IN NOTHING BUT A MANKINI AND SHOUT GIBERISH AT ANYONE WHILST UNDER THE INFLUENCE OF STELLA?":yikes:
ME:- "WIVERS SAID IT WAS OK ON THE TILERSFORUMS AND THATS TO BRITISH STANDARDS!"

D

DHTiling

Nick....the bs5385 copy you posted in an up-dated section...new guidlines thats all...they do get updated every now and again.

The BSI's are a fortune and i aggree with the others...should be priced right...

L

Leatherface

Thanks for being so understanding, me for one hasn't got the spare cash to shell out for them. Even more so some of the guys starting off who are worried how far a few hundred quid will stretch towards buying tools.
Thank god for this Forum, better than any book !!

R

Rob Z

There are a couple other reference standards here that are in place in the US and Canada. One is the ANSI standards book, there is another book by (I think I have this acronym right) CTIOA. I have the ANSI book (I think it was ~$20) and the CTIOA is a bit more, and doesn't have a whole lot more than what I have already gotten from the others. There is also a book from the NTCA (National TIle Contractors Association), but I don't think there is anything out of the ordinary in that.

It seems like somebody somewhere has decided to subsidize these standards books because it is in the best interest of the industry to get the good information out there to everyone in the field. Everyone can afford to buy one, and many of the manufacturers send them out to companies, contractors, etc as "compliments of *** company".

Reply to British Standards ? Set me straight please ? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen