Currently reading:
Bad workmanship i was asked to look at!!

Discuss Bad workmanship i was asked to look at!! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

Diamond Pool Finishers

call last night from brother-inlaw ,some friends of his were in tears!!we whent to have a look the lady had got the tiler of yell.com no refs,her hubby electrictian had layed thermal boards +UFH the tiler had used unibond white flexi addy comed it out straight over the heating elements and slaped the tiles down lippage!!all over the place he just followed the addy and had not leveled anything the UFH had cost £1000 :yikes: the tiles were £600 what a mess!!!:yikes:

D

Diamond Pool Finishers

no guys i never thought to take pics!!:mad2:i was just fed -up that this muppet could spend a day destroing someones dream + materials ,the lady teephoned him while we were there,he said no one could have done a better job and they dont make bendy tiles????????:yikes:he just cant see the point, that if three novices +one pro-tiler can see its a mess, ill keep you posted as to what happens the owner was haveing a meeting this -morn with him :incazzato:

D

diamondtiling

I took a floor up some years back Dave, it sounds similar to your mates, ceramic over UFH, no SLC, I managed to get them all up with no damage to the wires, I tested it before laying SLC and tiled over the top. All was fine, the tiles had been down for a couple of days. Its worth a try at this stage to lift them, the UFH can be repaired if needed.
If you meet the 'tiler' give him a slap across the chops with a wet fish from me, dozy incompetent idiot.

:prrr:

Last edited by a moderator:
D

diamondtiling

in one respect its fortunate he used tub as its likely that the job can be rescued

doesnt alter the fact that he should never have touched the job in the first place and im not defending him

after you give him doms slap ,slap him again for me please

If he gets a slap from all of us on the forum (14000) I still dont think that would knock any sense into him.

:mad2:

P

puddle

All due respect but maybe they should have got gooner in the first place, or they should have asked around for a recommendation ,if they know his brother, or as he is an electrician, should of been able to ask about in the trade
As he is in the trade, surly he knows what could happen, if I needed a roofer , joiner or mechanic, I would ask about for a good one, not dive in yellow dot com
Same thing happens to me, I get called out to friends of friends when something goes wrong and they need correcting, that seems to be the time many think about recommendations
Then they want the job corrected cheap as given all the budget money to the cowboys
I am not being hard, I am sorry all his hard work has been wasted and extra expense and I hope they get sorted out ok and yes these cowboys want castrating but did he pay them as well? Being in the trade, he should have known better
The case the other day were think Chris went to old couple and is sorting, great respect to him ,I can sympathise with them and have helped out in similar ways
But this case seems, in part, to be of there own making

If we tradesmen as a hole start having cowboys working for us,we can not complain when our counter part cowboys start under cutting and pinching our work

:sad_smile:

D

Diamond Pool Finishers

All due respect but maybe they should have got gooner in the first place, or they should have asked around for a recommendation ,if they know his brother, or as he is an electrician, should of been able to ask about in the trade
As he is in the trade, surly he knows what could happen, if I needed a roofer , joiner or mechanic, I would ask about for a good one, not dive in yellow dot com
Same thing happens to me, I get called out to friends of friends when something goes wrong and they need correcting, that seems to be the time many think about recommendations
Then they want the job corrected cheap as given all the budget money to the cowboys
I am not being hard, I am sorry all his hard work has been wasted and extra expense and I hope they get sorted out ok and yes these cowboys want castrating but did he pay them as well? Being in the trade, he should have known better
The case the other day were think Chris went to old couple and is sorting, great respect to him ,I can sympathise with them and have helped out in similar ways

If we tradesmen as a hole start having cowboys working for us,we can not complain when our counter part cowboys start under cutting and pinching our work

when i said electriction, not sure what type, certainly not site ,he is suited & booted,job, you cannot say it was there fault!!! just because they are not in the trade :mad2:if you pay good money you should get a good job, its the tiler that should not be tradeing!!!:mad2: if he can;t do the job!!! and the law will back this up !!

P

puddle

when i said electriction, not sure what type, certainly not site ,he is suited & booted,job, you cannot say it was there fault!!! just because they are not in the trade :mad2:if you pay good money you should get a good job, its the tiler that should not be tradeing!!!:mad2: if he can;t do the job!!! and the law will back this up !!

I am not saying it is their fault for not being in a trade, I am saying if they are in a trade, suited and booted or not, they should have know better than to get someone off the street to do some very important work
They should have gone by recommendation or ask to see some of their past works, the planning and job most have been going on for some time, so plenty of time to ask about, especially as one of their friend has a top notch tiler as a brother in law
I cannot blame the tilers because they obviously have not had any tilers in, just fly by nights and chancers and yes, they should not be trading and yes, if you pay good money, you should get a good job but that is not the world we live in and if you think the law is going to look after you against these scum bags, it is not, which is why they are still trading and are going to mechanically twist someone else next week, try taking them to court ,if you can get them there ,you will end up with 50p a week payments

Yes I get mad when I see these chancers work but I also get mad that the customers have allowed it to happen and paid for the privilege!

As said I hope they get sorted out ok but hope it does not turn out they got two or three quotes which they should also have done and took the cheapest
:rant:

D

diamondtiling

Some good points there puddle.

These guys are conmen and need to be stopped doing what they do, I also see your point about people not checking out past work but some people are very trusting and its these people that the vultures prey on. I am sure it would not happen to you or me but it has happened and something needs to be done and soon to stop it.
If Gooner (Dave) had been there to oversee the work then these blaggers would have been in for it but not everyone can just call family or friends that live in different parts of the country. It happens all the time and the sooner legislation is brought in to stamp on these pests the better.

:thumbsup:

D

diamondtiling

This sad story brings us right back to the old argument, as diamond says legislation, ie. Trade tests, licences, etc. Like Oz, or some states in the US. I remember a post by heavy trevy, from OZ saying "until you guys regulate your industry" etc. How do you guys/ gals feel, what does Jay , Rob Z think? :mad2:

My feelings exactly Phil, tight and strict regulations are the only way forward for all trades that work in domestic situations.

:incazzato:

A

albyshellshear

Anyway when do you want my mate paddy to come and tarmac your drive :lol::lol:

Reply to Bad workmanship i was asked to look at!! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside.