Search the forum,

Discuss Another "Which Sigma thread" help for a numpty newby! in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

P

Pigglet

Hi, I do quite a bit of property renovation and currently have a table saw and large bridge saw I use for natural stone but I want a manual cutter for ceramics and porcelain tiles. It's not going to get used every day by any means but I'd rather buy a decent tool that will take some abuse and last with good parts back up.
I'm looking at the sigmas, want to be able to cut 600mm tiles on a diagonal and would ideally like a storage case. I want one of the MAX cutters. Other than that I'm a bit bewildered by the choice!

I have never used a manual cutter before so have no preconceived ideas about push or pull scoring. Looking at the sigma range it would appear that the max cutters are only available in push to score configuration???

I'm looking at the the 3C3MMAX and the 3d2MMAX on trade tiler. I'm not sure how much the larger bed of the 920mm machine would be needed and also if there is anything else I should be considering????

Any info and help gratefully appreciated before I part with my hard earned!

S

Sean SML Tiling

I'd buy the 3p2m which will cut 1020cm. It's also a max version and your able to either push or pull as you can change the handle around.

P

Pigglet

Thanks for the reply Sean. How much bigger is the actual unit compared to the 720mm versions? I can't ever see me wanting t cut anything bigger than 600mm so is the ability to switch from push to pull scoring worth the extra?

J

jazzhands

I have a 3C2M and have just used it to tile a bathroom with 600x300 10mm porcelain - cut through them easily, no wastage from aborted tiles.
If you want to cut diagonal corner to corner then on a 600x300 tile you have a corner/corner length of 67cm which is well within the capability of the 3C2M's 74cm max cutting length.

P

Pit-R

Max cutters aren't the only push to score ones in Sigma manual cutters range - there are also Klick Klock cutters. If you "want to be able to cut 600mm tiles on a diagonal and would ideally like a storage case" then you have to look somewhere else, cause sigma case doesn't fit to 3Dxx modells, and 3Cxx models don't cut such tiles on a diagonal. So if you want a sigma that size you should accept the fact there would be no storage case with it.

P

Pigglet

Thanks for the replies guys. A case would be a nice to have, it's not a deal breaker. DHT- I like your response!
Hmmm 3C2M MAX or 3D2M MAX????

P

Pit-R

Sigmas are that robust they dont need a case.. :thumbsup:

I thought so, untill had read a thread about accidentally broken handle on this forum and later had seen a contorted measure bar and deformed steel sprung bed with my own eyes. So after such experiences, to my regret, I have to say it's a myth.

Furthermore if it was true, Sigma wouldn't manufacture any case. But as we know they do it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
I wouldn't risk a cutter without a case. Orrrr, if I didn't have a case, I'd have a rack on the van that it and only it would sit on. Perhaps have a few in a line so it looked all posh and organised.

The longer the running bars, the easier they will be to bend in the middle. And you only need a tiny bit of a tight spot in the middle for the cutter to become a pain in the back side to cut quickly on.

But they all do it. Doesn't matter what the design is. If you give it to me, I'll probably break it in a couple of months. :lol:

Reply to Another "Which Sigma thread" help for a numpty newby! in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen