Currently reading:
Another "Which Sigma thread" help for a numpty newby!

Discuss Another "Which Sigma thread" help for a numpty newby! in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

P

Pigglet

Hi, I do quite a bit of property renovation and currently have a table saw and large bridge saw I use for natural stone but I want a manual cutter for ceramics and porcelain tiles. It's not going to get used every day by any means but I'd rather buy a decent tool that will take some abuse and last with good parts back up.
I'm looking at the sigmas, want to be able to cut 600mm tiles on a diagonal and would ideally like a storage case. I want one of the MAX cutters. Other than that I'm a bit bewildered by the choice!

I have never used a manual cutter before so have no preconceived ideas about push or pull scoring. Looking at the sigma range it would appear that the max cutters are only available in push to score configuration???

I'm looking at the the 3C3MMAX and the 3d2MMAX on trade tiler. I'm not sure how much the larger bed of the 920mm machine would be needed and also if there is anything else I should be considering????

Any info and help gratefully appreciated before I part with my hard earned!

P

Pit-R

Max cutters aren't the only push to score ones in Sigma manual cutters range - there are also Klick Klock cutters. If you "want to be able to cut 600mm tiles on a diagonal and would ideally like a storage case" then you have to look somewhere else, cause sigma case doesn't fit to 3Dxx modells, and 3Cxx models don't cut such tiles on a diagonal. So if you want a sigma that size you should accept the fact there would be no storage case with it.

P

Pit-R

Sigmas are that robust they dont need a case.. :thumbsup:

I thought so, untill had read a thread about accidentally broken handle on this forum and later had seen a contorted measure bar and deformed steel sprung bed with my own eyes. So after such experiences, to my regret, I have to say it's a myth.

Furthermore if it was true, Sigma wouldn't manufacture any case. But as we know they do it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
I wouldn't risk a cutter without a case. Orrrr, if I didn't have a case, I'd have a rack on the van that it and only it would sit on. Perhaps have a few in a line so it looked all posh and organised.

The longer the running bars, the easier they will be to bend in the middle. And you only need a tiny bit of a tight spot in the middle for the cutter to become a pain in the back side to cut quickly on.

But they all do it. Doesn't matter what the design is. If you give it to me, I'll probably break it in a couple of months. :lol:

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
We used to have everything on it's own shelf. The side door was it's own area, so not accessable from the back of the van for security. So in the side door we'd have the electric cutters and manual cutters in racks. Then drills and whatnot in neat stacks. You'd know if you'd left one behind in an instant. And if the van got robbed (not physically stolen) they'd have to break in again to get to the expensive tools and hopefully either give up or make too much noise and wake somebody up.

The back of the van was then for tiles and adhesive and to eat the dinner in. Lovely setup.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
Our cab had what I can only describe as roll-cage-like fence thing behind the seats in the front, and we'd then use BIG chain on the back doors and big locks onto the 'fence'. The side-door would lock on the inside of the passengers footwell to the frame of the van.

You'd have had to either cut the back door hinges off, or break in the front of the van, then spend a good while breaking into the back again.

And it was parked in a car-port with a few spot lights on it. (Was in the day before cameras were cheap but it'd have cameras on it now too).

We felt quite safe with that setup. But never say never.

W

White Room

Our cab had what I can only describe as roll-cage-like fence thing behind the seats in the front, and we'd then use BIG chain on the back doors and big locks onto the 'fence'. The side-door would lock on the inside of the passengers footwell to the frame of the van.

You'd have had to either cut the back door hinges off, or break in the front of the van, then spend a good while breaking into the back again.

And it was parked in a car-port with a few spot lights on it. (Was in the day before cameras were cheap but it'd have cameras on it now too).

We felt quite safe with that setup. But never say never.

This could be a whole new thread starter...security on the van.

Reply to Another "Which Sigma thread" help for a numpty newby! in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement