Search the forum,

Discuss Angle grinder?? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

dboden

TF
Reaction score
Hi, did my 1st job at the weekend, trying to think about the best tools for the job. I have a TS50 for straight cuts. Also a cheap wet cutter, but I didn't use it.
I used a jigsaw, with a tile blade, for around sockets etc, But it seemed hard work.
I have not got a grinder, but would consider getting one if knew it would do things like that better..
Do you all set up a wet cutter for most jobs, Or do you use grinder? jigsaw?

And which grinder?

G

Gazzer

Jigsaws are a waste of time IMO.
Cutting around sockets is best done on the wet sawwhith the guard removed and "plunge" the tile down (glazed side up).
Next way would be an angle grinder with good (Marcrist, Norton) wheel. Make sure the tile is held secure on a bench before attempting cutting and that your hands are dry. Let the wheel do the cutting and dont force it.
Makita make a small hand held tile cutter ideal for such a job but it has its limits being battery powered nd the water bottle feeder is prone to breakage and leaking. Some people love them and others hate them.

Which ever way you choose please be aware of safety.

Eye protection,
Ear Protection,
dust mask,
especially with the angle grinder :thumbsup:

G

Gazzer

When using the table cutter/bench cutter, the wheel sticks up through the table bed. So you hold the tile over the wheel and push (plunge) the tile down until the wheel cuts the tile in the place you need. Quite easy once you get the hang of it.

G

Gazzer

Well you cant push it through if the hole for the socket is in the middle of the tiile. As in a hole in one...understand?

T

tiler burden

if you want to be safe, get the new bosch angle grinders..theres a new cut off system fitted which eliminates 'kick back' which make using a grinder safer!!

ed

D

DHTiling

Wet cutters are a lot better for precision cuts IMO...and a grinder is ok for a cut that will not be on show....i.e sockets....you have more control over the tile with a wet cutter.....:thumbsup:

Reply to Angle grinder?? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen