Search the forum,

Discuss am i pricing too much????? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

C

CJ CERAMICS

a customer wants me to tile their hallway 10m2
with black and white quartz tiles which they are buying for £70.00sm
the shop selling them are retailing them at £110.00sm but if they do not require a receipt (this is a fairly big company with over 20 branches nationwide) they can have them at £70.00.

the hallway floor needs levelling.

to level floor fix tiles and supply materials i quoted £380.00. which i thought was reasonable(not charging to apply slc just cost of materials +10%

customer thought that this was too much?

what do you think?
cheers
chris

D

Deleted member 9966

the shop selling them are retailing them at £110.00sm but if they do not require a receipt (this is a fairly big company with over 20 branches nationwide) they can have them at £70.00.

to level floor fix tiles and supply materials i quoted £380.00. which i thought was reasonable(not charging to apply slc just cost of materials +10%

what do you think?
cheers
chris

chris

I don't usually get involved in the pricing forum, but to be honest, £380 seems a pretty good price to me. If the customer wants to pay £700 for the tiles and then let some bodger fix them at a fraction of the cost, then I think you should walk away.

I'd pay you £380 to come and tile my bathroom :thumbsup:

GRR

C

CJ CERAMICS

Too cheap in my book mate, some people :mad2:
thanks alan
normally i would have charged more but with business the way it is at the moment i thought i would go with a price that would atleast earn me some money this month but ?????
not sure what people want at the moment?
went to look at a job yesterday splash back area was 4.2 m2
customer had one quote for £80.00?
wish he had said this before i wasted petrol.
chris

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 9966

thanks alan
normally i would have charged more but with business the way it is at the moment i thought i would go with a price that would atleast earn me some money this month but ?????
not sure what people want at the moment?
chris

something for nothing :mad2: the best things in life are free, everything else you have to pay for, simples.

chris.tiling

TF
Arms
Poole
I think you priced it fairly.

I know the problem...have priced up 12 jobs in the past two weeks and got just one of them...the last one!

Went to one job only to get there and be told "I have booked someone now - thanks!" Again - why couldnt they phone to say!!!:incazzato:

Wigan aint that close :yikes: hang on, just checked, around 50 miles, about an hours drive. closer than I thought :oops:

Distance ain't a thing, in jobs gone by I used to average 2000 miles a week and then work on top of that, that's two thousand, not a typo :D So you see what I mean when I say, willing to travel :thumbsup:

D

Deleted member 9966

Distance ain't a thing, in jobs gone by I used to average 2000 miles a week and then work on top of that, that's two thousand, not a typo :D So you see what I mean when I say, willing to travel :thumbsup:

yeah but I bet they were big, well paid jobs though Alan. no point trekking the entire length of the country for a splashback :yikes:

but thinking about it guys, are you having to travel further than normal to get quotes and work?

D

davy_G

yeah but I bet they were big, well paid jobs though Alan. no point trekking the entire length of the country for a splashback :yikes:

but thinking about it guys, are you having to travel further than normal to get quotes and work?

Nope, im not. My thinking is if its close to home i dont have big travel costs or time wasted travelling, hense I can do it cheeper. The synic would say I can make more, but I can pass some of that to the customer, making sure I am the 'tiler' in my home patch.:thumbsup:

You would have thought that, wouldn't you, not the case on most parts :D I've seen me do 14 hour round trip to Barnstaple and back ( 700 miles ) and been on site for 10 minutes :yikes: that sort of thing happened often enough :(

C

Colour Republic

It's always hard to give advice without seeing it but for arguements sake lets say at 10sqm the hall is 2m wide, 5m long, 4 doors off and a staircase and it needs leveling

I'd be coming in at maybe around £550 + materials. I take you got the discount on the tiles? if you did then you've already saved them £340. What more do people want!

sometimes it's cheaper to stay at home, say you have a problem and it takes longer than you thought or maybe a few months down the line you have to go back and do a repair for free.

£380 is cheap in my book, no matter where you live in the country. I think these people are trying it on, nobody who is watching the pennys chooses a £110sqm tile, maybe they think you should help pay for them.

M

Matt

what do you think?
cheers
chris

Wow, that is someone stealing from their company

Good deal for the customer though :lol:

T

Time's Ran Out

Yup. It is staff like that, that make customers say to me. "How much for cash" Wink wink, nudge nudge

...a nods as good as wink to a blind bat! (my wife says I've got this wrong)
To the reply:
I wondered how long before someone picked up on the worrying part of this thread - back door sales for cash!
Prehaps it will be this customer who will post a thread complaining that they spent £1000-00 on tiles and their 'tiler' - who charged less than CJ -has left their job a disaster.

Timeless John.

M

Matt

...a nods as good as wink to a blind bat! (my wife says I've got this wrong)
To the reply:
I wondered how long before someone picked up on the worrying part of this thread - back door sales for cash!
Prehaps it will be this customer who will post a thread complaining that they spent £1000-00 on tiles and their 'tiler' - who charged less than CJ -has left their job a disaster.

Timeless John.

The other thing that worries me, is that if anything goes wrong with the tiles supplied. They can't exactly strowl into the shop asking for replacements etc. No proof it came from that shop.

Reply to am i pricing too much????? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Make sure to mark a post as a solution for better transparency.

There are similar tiling threads here

• Question
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you have shower leakage that goes downstairs leading to either your main floor or basement? Read this blog...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement

Birthdays

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside.