Search the forum,

Discuss Advice on when to do cuts in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Q

quackfly

When i did my course my instructor said it was better to complete one row at a time fully rather than fix all the whole tiles up the wall first and then do the cuts at either side of the wall, I'm just wondering if he was giving me this advice cos i was a newbie and he wanted me to minimise my potential mistakes? Just wondering what you guys out there generally do, really the reason im asking is one way faster than the other and therefore better?

D

david campbell

i tend to tile the wall and do my cuts at the end,if the wall is not plumb and falling out or in you can measure the top and bottom then line up all your tiles and mark or scribe them,then cut the lot and they should all fit,however if the wall is weaving in and out then this wont work and all cut will have to be done individually!
hope this helps:thumbsup:

M

mags

Both methods are fine I find it easier to do cuts as I go just because it can be messy back buttering tiles to fit in at the end :thumbsup:

J

jamie B

When i did my course my instructor said it was better to complete one row at a time fully rather than fix all the whole tiles up the wall first and then do the cuts at either side of the wall, I'm just wondering if he was giving me this advice cos i was a newbie and he wanted me to minimise my potential mistakes? Just wondering what you guys out there generally do, really the reason im asking is one way faster than the other and therefore better?

Do 'em as I go..both ways are fine, just do what suits you! :smilewinkgrin:

T

Time's Ran Out

I've always put the full tiles on the wall first.
If you have a tile with size variation and the next row of tiles are bigger it will be out of joint by the time you go 1metre.
Do the full tiles - check your vertical levels - put the cuts in!:thumbsup:

D

dagger

i can honestly say i cant think of one reason not to put the cuts in as you go on walls(infact you could end up skew), and on floors i dont think it makes any speed difference so i put the cuts in as i go also!

each to thier own!

Dagger

D

davy_G

I tend to cut as I go. The odd occasion when im working with rapid set i might leave one if its going to take a bit of time.
Cutting as you go tends to give a fairer picture of how you are really getting on. You might bang a 30m2 floor down but then take another day to do all the cuts, which is soul destroying!
But do what suits you or the job best.

scott23

TF
Reaction score
i put my cuts in as i go. you may find with cheap tiles you might get slighty differnt sized tile.this could cause you problems if you leave your cuts out and put them in last.:thumbsup:

H

Hawkofeagles

I tend to do the cuts as I go as I feel the same as Davy G, very soul destroying doing them at the end

D

doug boardley

I'll put most of the full tiles on first, but, leave enough room between the last full row and the corner to get my trowel in. If this means I have to leave a gap of a full tile and a cut, that's how I do it, hope this helps:thumbsup:

Reply to Advice on when to do cuts in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen