Search the forum,

Discuss Advice on tiling onto "overlay" underfloor heating in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

J

Jonner

Hi, my name is Jon

I have already had a look around the forum and it has already been really useful regarding tiling onto an overlay underfloor heating system, but it has raised a few questions!

I will shortly be starting a floor tilling job onto an overlay (water based) underfloor heating system. The underfloor system is in conjunction with an Air Source Heat Pump (flow temperatures about 35deg C).

The PE-RT (polyethylene pipes are laid into a foil insulated polystyrene foam). From what I have read on the forum I am then planning to do the following:

• Bond on a “backer board” using a flexible adhesive – I was planning on using 12mm thick minimum. Is thicker board better? Should the backer board be screwed down?)
  • Lay down a de-coupling membrane
  • Bond either stone or ceramic tiles to the backer board

Please could you advise if the steps I am proposing are correct and any materials you would recommend.

Any help/advice really appreciated, thank you.

Best Wishes

Jon

F

Flintstone

What do you propose to use to bond the backer board to the foil? It’s come to light recently thay something in the aluminium breaks down cement based adhesives.

J

Jonner

Hi ACT
Firstly many thanks for getting back to me. Thank you for highlighting this potential problem with the adhesive and the aluminium.
I am open to suggestions on what materials to use for this job so if you have any recommendations for adhesive that would be greatly appreciated.
Or could the aluminium foil simply be removed before bonding the backer board?
best wishes Jon

F

Flintstone

Morning jon.
Personally I have never tiled onto one of these systems, I have managed to avoid so far and turned down a couple. Some on here will advise you better than I can.

S

Spare Tool

Far as I'm aware its all in the priming and putting a barrier between the aluminum and Portland cement, Imo a good coat of eco prime and grip followed by 10mm of a flexible self leveler would be the way to prep this type of ufh

J

Jonner

Hi Andy
Many thanks for your comments, really greatly appreciated.
When you mention priming the foam backed aluminium would something like Mapei Eco Prim Grip be the right thing?
You then mention a flexible leveling compound, would something like BAL - level max be the right things?
Would you propose the self leveling compound instead of the backer board? Or would the backer board be laid and bonded onto the self leveling compound?
Sorry for the additional questions.
Best Wishes
Jon

S

Spare Tool

Personally id stick with the same manufacturer for primer and self leveler, I only use ultra and Tile Master so can't comment on the BAL, but both TM and Ultra make a prime and grip primer and slc suitable..
And yes the slc is instead of the cement boards, will disperse the heat better

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Advice on tiling onto "overlay" underfloor heating in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi, We are tiling our kitchen with limestone tiles - we have already done it in the hallway and...
Replies
Views
Hello there, Relatively recently we had a new en-suite fitted (complete rip out of the old...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen