Search the forum,

Discuss Advice on tiling onto "overlay" underfloor heating in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

O

Old Mod

So this company has absolutely no idea what it’s talking about, or what the industry standard is for Tiling to ufh.
To me it sounds more like for timber floors.

The advice I would give would be two fold.
1. Ask to see test results. :D
2. Speak with the TTA, and get their recommendations on the method statement that you have been presented with, hopefully also being able to give the name of the person you have been dealing with too.
From the text in the pdf, it appears to be badly translated English at best.
Every tiler in here knows that floating floors should not be tiled to, and that the minimum ply wood overlay method would specify a minimum of 15mm as laid down in British standards BS5385
And it is certainly not industry standard to loose lay it! Haha

L

LM

Also another major concern is the ply being a fire hazard!
That has to be one of the most bizzare method statements I've ever seen, it's wrong on so many points.
The translation to english of such ridiculous advice is also terrible.
How can advice like this be allowed.
Lawyers would have a field day with this in the event of a claim.
@3_fall test results for the above would be very interesting indeed :D

O

One Day

It seems pretty clear too that ALL ply available now is completely unsuitable for tiling onto.
Years ago it would bond really well to cement based adhesive, but every time I see or hear of ply underlay it has always failed to bond.
Crazy.

D

Dumbo

It seems pretty clear too that ALL ply available now is completely unsuitable for tiling onto.
Years ago it would bond really well to cement based adhesive, but every time I see or hear of ply underlay it has always failed to bond.
Crazy.
Does anybody know why that is . I think when they removed the carcinogenic stuff they removed the good stuff

John Benton

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Clearly no idea whatsoever!!! Looks like they've use Google translate from Swahili to Pigeon English. It makes no sense at all.

Perhaps the individual who created the sequence of materials diagram was indeed a 'retro git' him or herself!!!

J

Jonner

Firstly Many thanks; Marc, Andy, HM, ACT, Lee Mac, Impish, JCR & John for your time and comments, it really is greatly appreciated.

Following your feedback and my earlier discussion with Marc we are going to cancel the idea of an "overlay" underfloor heating system.
We in are in a lucky position to be installing the underfloor heating only on the ground floor in 2 rooms that connect to each other. Each room currently has a concrete floor. Please note the heating system is an Air Source Heat Pump with flow temperatures of about 35-40deg C.
So having done some more research we are now proposing to install underfloor heating with a screed, (either concrete or resin). We are then hoping to tile on the screed.
Do you think this would be the best approach and do you have and do's and dont's when considering this type of floor and tiling?
Any advice gratefully received. Thanks again for all your help so far.
Cheers Jon

Reply to Advice on tiling onto "overlay" underfloor heating in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi, We are tiling our kitchen with limestone tiles - we have already done it in the hallway and...
Replies
Views
Hello there, Relatively recently we had a new en-suite fitted (complete rip out of the old...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen