Currently reading:
Advice on porcelain tile movement. Grout coming out of tiles.

Search the forum,

Discuss Advice on porcelain tile movement. Grout coming out of tiles. in the Tile Adhesive / Grout Advice area at TilersForums.com.

Uk
Your last 'tiler' has changed adhesive from white to grey..probably ran out half way though using all those dabs..
The hardi boards need a bed of tile adhesive under them before screwing down staggered and all joints taped and skimmed with adhesive.. Doesn't sound like you have much confidence in your new tiler either..?

I have lost confidence in the full job to be honest. This work was started in June and was told 2 weeks which ended up over 2 months. Grout started coming away and then tiles started popping and we’ve been on at him for around 8 weeks to get it resolved he sent original tiler out to regrout and was advised to live with a wee bit of movement if I could. Wasn’t happy with that answer and new grout done the exact same thing. We paid one guy which was the joiner who was project managing the full thing so because it is down to him to rectify these issues I’m worried about corners being cut to save costs. If I attatch pictures of the boards that have been put in place today would that help at all? Thanks so much again for your help.

Boggs

TF
Arms
Esteemed
Uk
I have lost confidence in the full job to be honest. This work was started in June and was told 2 weeks which ended up over 2 months. Grout started coming away and then tiles started popping and we’ve been on at him for around 8 weeks to get it resolved he sent original tiler out to regrout and was advised to live with a wee bit of movement if I could. Wasn’t happy with that answer and new grout done the exact same thing. We paid one guy which was the joiner who was project managing the full thing so because it is down to him to rectify these issues I’m worried about corners being cut to save costs. If I attatch pictures of the boards that have been put in place today would that help at all? Thanks so much again for your help.

It would.

Is this a new tiler undertaking the repair.

Uk
7F6B7903-9CA9-4D18-A3B5-E804DF3CFA01.jpeg
61ED36AA-6B93-44EC-9C10-8EA11DCDC9F9.jpeg 1878EE20-6D43-42D5-9972-FC9D9C659E37.jpeg D9A1B567-184F-40DF-94DB-B1A5CB853A16.jpeg DF1B1C33-9BCE-4B0C-A8D2-42BC684DA9F3.jpeg A900F950-ACB5-4BE6-ACAC-DF28DA5396BD.jpeg 4BE0ECEC-5E96-4190-A959-A177C525735C.jpeg 8DA5576D-E950-4606-A865-3AA005E5E864.jpeg 67BAD15D-32E3-4286-BF60-27F160D5FABB.jpeg

Uk
It would.

Is this a new tiler undertaking the repair.

Hope the pictures help if they need to be different angle etc then please let me know. Yes new tiler has agreed to take on the job under the conditions that he wasn’t repairing loose tiles but lifting them all and replacing them and also putting these boards down as the base. As originally joiner asked him to pump silicone and try and secure the loose ones which he wasn’t willing to do.

Uk
Well its not Hardi board for a start, think its no more ply, and all joints should be stuck with their tube adhesive.. :(

So I’ve been lied to again I’m guessing these boards are not going to be sufficient when I have movement in my actual floor? As this was the reason I was told I was to have hardiebacker boards so it would be a stable secure base to avoid the movement causing the same problems. Nobody is back until Monday so I can ask about the tube adhesive and watch what they do next and take pictures to post to see if what they’re telling me ties in with what you see in the photos?

Uk
I don’t like the look of that.

Are they boarding over all the old adhesive and ply?

Yes they have boarded over what was on the floor as far as i was able to see. So the ply is definitely still buried under there aswell as the disconnected underfloor heating i imagine as they would have had to have dug that out otherwise and there’s no mess or rubbish to suggest that has happened.

Boggs

TF
Arms
Esteemed
Uk
I would insist that the first attempt is completely removed and started again from the floorboards.
There is nothing wrong with no more ply, so don’t worry about that part.
It must be installed as the instructions.

W

Waluigi

the last photo looks like he has overboarded the dots of adhesive.

It’s all getting a bit confusing as to how many layers you have. Whatever happens, you can’t just screw a bit of board onto dots of adhesive and hope for the best. Shortsighted thinking. There is no quick fix to this. No magic board. Just logic and manufacturers instructions.

Uk
No more ply instructions.

https://sts-uk.com/amfilerating/file/download/file_id/4/

Overboarding timber floors.

If it’s not carried out like this
No more ply instructions.

https://sts-uk.com/amfilerating/file/download/file_id/4/

Overboarding timber floors.

If it’s not carried out like this its not right.

Thank you for the link and all the help I’ve honestly been at a loss as I have no knowledge of any sort of trade. Looks like more heated discussions are on the horizon. Your help and knowledge is much appreciated.

Uk
I would insist that the first attempt is completely removed and started again from the floorboards.
There is nothing wrong with no more ply, so don’t worry about that part.
It must be installed as the instructions.

Thank you again for all your help and advice. Looks like more heated discussions will need to be had as it’s now clearly a money saving operation on their part. Your advice is much appreciated.

Uk
the last photo looks like he has overboarded the dots of adhesive.

It’s all getting a bit confusing as to how many layers you have. Whatever happens, you can’t just screw a bit of board onto dots of adhesive and hope for the best. Shortsighted thinking. There is no quick fix to this. No magic board. Just logic and manufacturers instructions.

I’ve also lost count of how many layers I have. The full situation is just a nightmare just wanted it fixed and have what we paid for especially with having kids in the house in the run up to Christmas. Some people don’t have a heart it seems. Thank you for taking the time to reply I genuinely do appreciate each and every bit of help I am getting.

Uk
Wt absolute hell (public forum) is going on...nomoreply just screwed over old adhesive UFH and 6mm ply... Seriously time to get these idiots out of your house and employ someone that knows what they're doing..

I wish I could afford to get them out now but the amount of money we have paid out for the full downstairs renovation I couldn’t even afford to get someone in to sort this. Which is why I am basically at the project managers mercy :( he offered to refund £3000 but that wouldn’t even cover the original job starting from a blank canvas never mind someone having to come in now at this stage and rectify all the issues before even beginning to add the cost of them starting from scratch again.

Uk
Get everything in writing ie offers etc as you may need evidence of guilt further down the line.

A lot of the communication has been done via text message including the original price we were being charged for the floor. Would they not doubt would I have to get them to physically put everything down on paper? Again sorry for all the questions and bombarding the thread but we’re over £20,000 down on this project and around £5000 of that went originally on paying him for the tiles and paying the tiler. Now he’s offering £3000 when there’s much more work involved now than when we had bare floorboards.

W

Waluigi

I would get a couple of professionals round to give you a full written quote to give you the finished product you would like including all remedial works. Then try to offset some of the cost by getting as much back from this builder as possible. Honestly I wouldn’t entertain the idea of him doing any more work for you. He’s well out of his depth. Whoever is doing the work is trying his best but in reality doesn’t have the first idea of what he is doing.

Uk
It needs taking back to original floor and starting a fresh from there, no ifs or buts..

I just need to get him to agree to that as he said he wasn’t willing to pay any more than £3000 to either us on a refund or on him fixing it then when he got the new tiler in he apparently upped it slightly ‘to get it done right’ so I don’t see him agreeing to paying out more money on getting all they new boards back up and stripping that back to bare. I don’t know how I can make him do what needs to be done no matter what :( sounds so pathetic in the grand scheme of things but he’s ruining my children’s run up to Christmas and that’s what I hate most about this whole situation.

Reply to Advice on porcelain tile movement. Grout coming out of tiles. in the Tile Adhesive / Grout Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe had worn away over the past 70 years, causing a small crack in the copper. A plumber/builder fixed...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I'm hoping you can help with some feedback, please My parents are currently having a new bathroom installed, all stripped back to bare walls and floor. The fitter has done/hasn't done...
Replies
Views
Hello, I'm just a home owner who doesn't have much experience with tiling but I'm looking for advice on fixing a few problems that a professional left me with. He of course has not responded to...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I've laid some Arditex NA over the kitchen floor area (not under cabinets. The area is 4.5m x 1.8m. The top third of the room is totally level. The remainder of the room has a slope...
Replies
Views
Hello there, Relatively recently we had a new en-suite fitted (complete rip out of the old fittings, and old wall tiles and floor carpet). This consisted of a quadrant shower enclosure, a...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement