Currently reading:
Advice for Wetroom Floor

Discuss Advice for Wetroom Floor in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

S

SimpleSimon

Hi there

I'm a DIYer putting in an upstairs wetroom floor. I'm currently at the stage of floor joists, which I've beefed up with extra noggins so it's good and solid.

Does the following list of layers make sense? Is it overkill (or underkill!)? All comments very much appreciated!

1. 18mm WPB ply (not marine ply)
2. 6mm tile backer board
3. Tanking primer (from wetrooms-online)
4. Tanking solution and tape on joints (again from wetrooms online)
5. Tanking solution layer on everything
6. Electric underfloor heat mat
7. Tile adhesive
8. 8mm Slate Floor Tiles
9. Grout
10. Slate Tile sealing solution

I'm using a wetroom tray (yet again from wetrooms online) in the shower itself, so this will replace the tile backer board in step 2.

I know some people have concerns about slate in bathrooms but its a gamble which "we" (as in my wife) have decided to take.

Thanks for your help
Simon

O

Old Mod

Personally my approach would be slightly different.
10mm backer over ply, or 6mm hardie if height really is a big issue. Joints taped
Then ufh mat.
Latex over ufh mat, not only to protect it but to give a good uniform surface to tile to and to deliver better heat transfer.
Then I would tank everything before laying tiles.
To my thinking, why would you tank below an electrical system that runs the risk of getting wet?
Surely you’d want the electrical element of your floor protected at all costs?
Well I would anyway.

S

SimpleSimon

Thanks 3_fall - that makes sense what you said about the electrics - sorry for the crossed posts!

So my new list is like this?

2. 12mm tile backer board (I can only get 12mm rather than 10mm)
2a. Electric underfloor heat mat
2b. Latex
3. Tanking primer (from wetrooms-online)
4. Tanking solution and tape on joints (again from wetrooms online)
5. Tanking solution layer on everything
6a. Decoupling mat
7. Tile adhesive
8. 8mm Slate Floor Tiles
9. Grout

O

Old Mod

That’s about as belt and braces you could get.

But..... :D

Actually after engaging my brain properly, not something that’s done often on a Sunday.

After latexing over your ufh you can use a waterproof antifracture mat instead of the other two processes,
Sorry, I should of been more focused when replying.

So......,
Backer boards over ply
Ufh
Latex
Waterproof antifracture mate
Tiled
Done

O

Old Mod

Green waterproof antifracture matting over ufh
95810B95-26FB-49D6-B2C0-470704F8530F.jpeg D9F0DDD5-7A3D-4047-A2F7-5BEA295352EE.jpeg
Ready to be tiled

S

SimpleSimon

S

SimpleSimon

Sounds like that's the one to use then, assuming I can get someone to ship it to Dublin, but that's another thread altogether...

Just to be 100% sure I've got it, here's my new list:

2. 12mm tile backer board (I can only get 12mm rather than 10mm)
2a. Electric underfloor heat mat
2b. Latex
6a. Isomat or similar, taped on seams and at walls
7. Tile adhesive
8. 8mm Slate Floor Tiles
9. Grout

S

SimpleSimon

Thanks for the extra tips - now you mention it, the sales people did suggest sealing the slates both before and after laying, so I'll do that, and also wash & dry them first.

A couple of other questions while I've your attention too...

What's meant by the latex layer that goes on the UFH? Is this a powdered tile adhesive that's been enriched with a latex solution like this one, or something else?
Everbuild Floor Flex Plus Latex Leveller Liquid 5 Litre - https://www.goodwins.ie/products/everbuild-floor-flex-plus-latex-leveller-liquid-5-litre-0071025.html

Also, I've a couple of options regarding tile backing boards. There seem to be two types - cement boards like Hardibacker or this one here:
Permabase 8x4' 12mm Non Combustible Cement Board - https://www.goodwins.ie/products/permabase-8x4-12mm-non-combustible-cement-board-0023296.html

Or foam based ones like this one:
12mm Tile Backer Board 1.2 x 0.6mtr - https://www.goodwins.ie/products/12mm-tile-backer-board-1-2-x-0-6mtr-0023293.html

I'm guessing I'm better off with a cement board for a floor?

Sorry for all the questions!

Pointless using hardie & decoupling systems together

A 10mm backerboard will only decouple and won’t give any structural integrity to the floor. It’s simply an water resistent overlay to stop tiles debonding.
Both hardie, and ditra take out any minimal lateral movement. (Movement from left to right) not up and down.

Ditra Matt should allways be laid above the UFH

Easiest solution for wetrooms is a waterproof decoupling mat with tapped joints and paint the walls if desired (I allways do ) manufactures states only the floors need to be tanked.

So you’d only need to do the following

18mm ply wbp
UFH
Screed
Adhesive
Matting
Adhesive
Tiles
Deal

This solution will hardly raise your floor.

Reply to Advice for Wetroom Floor in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all, I'm hoping you can help with some feedback, please My parents are currently having a new bathroom installed, all stripped back to bare walls and floor. The fitter has done/hasn't done...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill.83462/#gsc.tab=0 There was some heated argument in the above thread! I don't have much...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe had worn away over the past 70 years, causing a small crack in the copper. A plumber/builder fixed...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I've laid some Arditex NA over the kitchen floor area (not under cabinets. The area is 4.5m x 1.8m. The top third of the room is totally level. The remainder of the room has a slope...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in preparation for tiling. A couple of days after there's a lot of very fine cracks which have appeared, you...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement