Search the forum,

Discuss Advice for Wetroom Floor in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

Simon Dale

TF
Esteemed
Esteemed
Reaction score
Usually I find slate is very dirty so needs to be washed and completely dry before sealing, or take care with grout and adhesive seal when finished must be dry or picture framing !!

S

SimpleSimon

Thanks for the extra tips - now you mention it, the sales people did suggest sealing the slates both before and after laying, so I'll do that, and also wash & dry them first.

A couple of other questions while I've your attention too...

What's meant by the latex layer that goes on the UFH? Is this a powdered tile adhesive that's been enriched with a latex solution like this one, or something else?
Everbuild Floor Flex Plus Latex Leveller Liquid 5 Litre - https://www.goodwins.ie/products/everbuild-floor-flex-plus-latex-leveller-liquid-5-litre-0071025.html

Also, I've a couple of options regarding tile backing boards. There seem to be two types - cement boards like Hardibacker or this one here:
Permabase 8x4' 12mm Non Combustible Cement Board - https://www.goodwins.ie/products/permabase-8x4-12mm-non-combustible-cement-board-0023296.html

Or foam based ones like this one:
12mm Tile Backer Board 1.2 x 0.6mtr - https://www.goodwins.ie/products/12mm-tile-backer-board-1-2-x-0-6mtr-0023293.html

I'm guessing I'm better off with a cement board for a floor?

Sorry for all the questions!

W

WetSaw

Yes, it's a bit of an oxymoron sometimes!
A spiked roller helps a lot.
Foam core boards are fine on the floor providing you don't need the extra rigidity cement boards will give you.

S

SimpleSimon

OK, thanks - I'll get one of those.

Both types of board are more or less the same price here so I may as well go with the cement ones to be on the safe side.

Thanks again!

F

Flintstone

Not to confuse matters, but what about your backer board, then vario pro, or ditra heat, joints sealed, wires in then tile, that saves you levelling, saves time, less layers
Other brands are available, from uheat a forum sponsor too, they sell an elektra kit which is very good value

Last edited by a moderator:
F

Flintstone

Deffinately seal slate before grouting. What sort of slate is it? Tell me it’s not riven !

NWTiles

TF
Reaction score
Pointless using hardie & decoupling systems together

A 10mm backerboard will only decouple and won’t give any structural integrity to the floor. It’s simply an water resistent overlay to stop tiles debonding.
Both hardie, and ditra take out any minimal lateral movement. (Movement from left to right) not up and down.

Ditra Matt should allways be laid above the UFH

Easiest solution for wetrooms is a waterproof decoupling mat with tapped joints and paint the walls if desired (I allways do ) manufactures states only the floors need to be tanked.

So you’d only need to do the following

18mm ply wbp
UFH
Screed
Adhesive
Matting
Adhesive
Tiles
Deal

This solution will hardly raise your floor.

Reply to Advice for Wetroom Floor in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen