Search the forum,

Discuss Adhesive bed too thick, so stick warm up boards to AKW level best tray in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

R

rookie

Dear all,

First time and hoping for help! I have a AKW tuff form / level best tray installed (by builder) to create a level access shower and, because of various issues the tray is now at least 20mm below the level of the finished floor porcelain tiles around it. I plan to lay 10mm x 50mm x 50mm mosaics on the former, but the adhesive bed thickness is too great to allow a level finish (they just pop up and done all over the place as you try to level them, they are on 300mm square backings). I plan to lay a 6 mm warm up backing board, cut in triangles to keep the falls, on the tray (900 mm square with offset waste) , to reduce the thickness and to leave space for a thin bed of adhesive under the mosaics.

The questions are: is this a good idea and if not what else can i do? OR if this is OK, what do I stick the warm up insulation boards onto the AKW shower former with (grip fill???).

Please help as this is a nightmare (rest of floor is lovely, by the way!!)

Ta.

D

DHTiling

Hi.

Ok to be blunt , what you plan is plain stupid.

Take out the tray and set at the correct height.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

R

rookie

Re: Adhesive bed too thick, so stick warm up boards to AKW level best

Well, Mr Howe, good to see your years of experience have proved to be so helpful in assisting me! Obviously, if I could get he builder back, take up the existing tiles and underfloor heating cables I would start from scratch, but cant. Hence the query! Is it just a mystery to me why Andy Tiler would thank such a pointless post? Anyone else got a more constructive reply?

M

micko

Re: Adhesive bed too thick, so stick warm up boards to AKW level best

Hi,
I’m not a pro so I may be wrong, I don’t think you can put small format tiles on to backer boards. Also grip fill is a bad idea. Will your drain still fit with such a large gap between the former and the fitting?

Reply to Adhesive bed too thick, so stick warm up boards to AKW level best tray in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I've got an AKW Tuff form shower tray with a waste that is 10mm above the tray when fully...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen