Search the forum,

Discuss Acrylic primer didn't bond to Larsen Tile Adhesive in the Tile Adhesive / Grout Advice area at TilersForums.com.

Rating
1.00 star(s)

Kevbos

Arms
Reaction score
I Appreciate your reply Dave thank you. I had a local rep out to look at it but I know already they'll try to weasel out of it any way possible 🤷🏻‍♂
To me it looks like the primer has stuck to the adhesive very well !because glued side of tiles is perfectly smooth !! The problem is when priming was done ! If you run hands down wall do they collect a fine dust !?? On very polished plaster a fine dust is left ! And I wipe over this with a damp sponge to make sure the wall is dust free !! Because guarantee that's what primer company going to say

Reaction score
To me it looks like the primer has stuck to the adhesive very well !because glued side of tiles is perfectly smooth !! The problem is when priming was done ! If you run hands down wall do they collect a fine dust !?? On very polished plaster a fine dust is left ! And I wipe over this with a damp sponge to make sure the wall is dust free !! Because guarantee that's what primer company going to say
I'd say roughly 20% of the primer stayed on the tile when removed the rest was on the wall with both sides still tacky. My issue is the lack of bond, the skim coat is maximum 3mm thick so when removing a tile it should theoretically take skim and all. Walls were prepared before sealer was applied and when 1:1 mixture was painted on the skim its darkened as to suggest it had penetrated the skim and bonded. Rep came up with 3 excuses in less than 5 minutes
1. Weight of the tile was too much for the sealer/plaster
2. Coverage on tile (ridges not fully collapsed)
3. Expansion-he said larsen require a minimum of every 5 meters for am expansion joint.
So I've a feeling I'll get nowhere with then, I think the best solution is to stop using Larsen products 🤷🏻‍♂

Dave

TF
Staff member
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I'd say roughly 20% of the primer stayed on the tile when removed the rest was on the wall with both sides still tacky. My issue is the lack of bond, the skim coat is maximum 3mm thick so when removing a tile it should theoretically take skim and all. Walls were prepared before sealer was applied and when 1:1 mixture was painted on the skim its darkened as to suggest it had penetrated the skim and bonded. Rep came up with 3 excuses in less than 5 minutes
3. Expansion-he said larsen require a minimum of every 5 meters for am expansion joint.
So I've a feeling I'll get nowhere with then, I think the best solution is to stop using Larsen products 🤷🏻‍♂
I personally don’t agree with the tile on tacky primer recommendation. The primer is to prevent the reaction between the cement based adhesive and the gypsum. So in my experience that needs to be cured. Not tacky. I would change products imho.

Reaction score
I personally don’t agree with the tile on tacky primer recommendation. The primer is to prevent the reaction between the cement based adhesive and the gypsum. So in my experience that needs to be cured. Not tacky. I would change products imho.
We're very limited in my area for suppliers, tile master has become available at a new local tile shop and I've been very impressed with the adhesive have you any experience with that brand?

Kevbos

Arms
Reaction score
If it is still tacky then something has gone wrong somewhere !but not to say anything about certain adhesives !but larsen is one I will never use ! Along with ultra and a few others !! I have used mapei products years now and their adhesives are if not the best certainly amongst the best !keraquik and keraflex !! And just use sbr to prime walls and floors etc it is so strong

Reaction score
If it is still tacky then something has gone wrong somewhere !but not to say anything about certain adhesives !but larsen is one I will never use ! Along with ultra and a few others !! I have used mapei products years now and their adhesives are if not the best certainly amongst the best !keraquik and keraflex !! And just use sbr to prime walls and floors etc it is so strong
I think its the last time I'll be using them, I've informed local tile shops not to send any of their products out to jobs I'm on. If they can't guarantee the product I can't guarantee my work and that is not acceptable 🤷🏻‍♂

Reply to Acrylic primer didn't bond to Larsen Tile Adhesive in the Tile Adhesive / Grout Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen