• Thread starter howard
  • Start date
  • Replies 63
  • Views 758
  • usa
Search the forum,

Discuss £7.50 m2 in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

doug boardley

I can't believe that anyone would price that low Brian, there may be an element of mischief making, but I can't see what anyone(tiler) would have to gain by advertising such low prices. If I was tiling for that price I'd be downright ashamed and wouldn't want anybody to know about it!:rant:

S

Saltire69

The problem is though that if u haven't got any work and bills to pay people who are new to tiling/handy men and general builders will all b under quoting themselves 2 get work. It then has a knock on effect on good tradesmen as then can't get work and leave the industry and then when the market picks up, the ones that were underquoting are still going as they have been surving on low wages. I don't agree with it but thats the way life works.
There has been a few tilers round my way that have quit because of lack of work.(bad advertising or bad work i don't know).
I've got the same train of thought as Cap though, as long as i've got 2/3 weeks work i won't drop my price's.

Last edited by a moderator:

2Balls

7.50 quid pro m² really is low. I would find it hard to give 100% quality, for that price!!!! Price Dumping has a Knock on effect,and in my opinon brings down standards!?:smash: 2Balls

C

cornish_crofter

£7.50 is buying work.

It may have been quoted to get the tiler on site with his sign written van. I know a number of good tradesmen who have sought this pricing technique to start up his business.

Many years ago I used to use a mobile mechanic who charged peanuts. His rates were about a 3rd of what the garage round the corner used to charge. As he got busy he put his rates up. But I got really cheap vehicle maintenance costs up until then, and he knew what he was doing.

I think it's more likely that there is a tile shop somewhere who pays their tiler that price to do displays etc and thinks that tilers should be charging that price across the board.

You would be struggling less with 6x6 on a perfectly flat wall to earn that sort of money, than anything else.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

doit4u

As one of the characters on Absolutely Fabulous said when offered silly money 'I wouldn't get out of bed and p for that'

B

Bolter

I'd do crazy paving for £7.50/m^2!! Spread the whole wall and stand in the doorway throwing bits of tile at it lol

:smash: :)

Reaction score
there is a tiler near to me who charges a bog standard £10m2, no matter if it's stone or ceramic, he turns up on a push bike ffs,with a bucket with his tools in it, I believe he doesn't get called back again...standard is apparently poor.....

B

brian c

there is a tiler near to me who charges a bog standard £10m2, no matter if it's stone or ceramic, he turns up on a push bike ffs,with a bucket with his tools in it, I believe he doesn't get called back again...standard is apparently poor.....
its because you stole his van mark..lol

does he have his bike sign written...lol

C

cornish_crofter

.....Does he come from Cornwall by any chance:hurray:

Reply to £7.50 m2 in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I'm searching for 42 pieces of 12" x 12" Verde Alpi marble tiles. Preferably honed. 12" x 24"...
Replies
Views
A little help guys. I've been asked to price 71sqm of limestone flooring. My issue is this...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Nice forum you have here. Seems very helpful. I have some work coming up soon so will post in...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen