Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss 3 substrates in kitchen in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Sean Kelly

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Our new extension is currently being built. Our old square kitchen is doubling in size. As you walk into the old kitchen you walk on floorboards, but about 1meter in this changes to concrete/quarry tiles. The new extension is being ply’d out with 18mm ply. The original plan was to dig out the concrete so that the substrate is all 18mm ply. However the builders now tell me that they are going to ply the new part of the kitchen and just leave the old part as is. This means tiling onto floorboards, then concrete, then 18mm ply. I went through the roof because we agreed to ply the whole lot. I am now being informed that the builder thought that there was only going to be a little bit of concrete to dig out. It turns out that there is a lot of concrete to dig out and it’s very tough. I told the builder that there is no way I can tile and lay UFH across 3 substrates. I am correct, aren’t I?
Cheers Sean

D

diamondtiling

In my opinion yes you are correct, one substrate is far better than three, I would insist that the builder sticks to the original spec regarding the concrete floor, did he see the amount to dig out? if not then maybe he wants more money, it is hard to price un-foreseen problems, if on the other hand he knew all along about the amount og digging then he should get the spade out

:prrr:

Sean Kelly

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Mr Diamond! To cut a long story short he only saw part of the floor. I am not unreasonable and do see this as an unforeseen situation. I was a little annoyed that he was planning to do the job his way and not the way it was agreed. Luckily I am here to see that they are doing things as planned. I had a feeling that there was going to be issues as it has taken3 men 2 days to knock down 2 walls. This 1920’s house is very well built. The bricks are not breaking and the mortar is as solid as the bricks! The demolition is costing more than the builder originally thought and he is trying to claw back money from something that was originally agreed upon. I fully expect an increase to the cost of getting the floor right. Cheers Sean

D

diamondtiling

To be honest Sean, if I was knocking down those walls and it was going to make me lose money then I'm afraid I would be putting the price up myself, like I said unforeseen circumstances are just that, hidden. I hope you get things sorted out. Timeless John will read my post and start telling me that a price agreed is the price to stick to all the time..........................zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

:lol::lol::lol: only pulling your leg John :lol::lol::lol:

Reply to 3 substrates in kitchen in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
laattaana
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks