Discuss 2mm grout lines floor 1200x600x10mm Porcelain tile in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Simons70

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
We have to start a Harolds Shop in Heatrow,big area (over 1000 sqm) and just receive the details:
''Please see setting out drawing for Harrods,
Please note 2mm grout lines, the project has been set out as this''
I don't know if is right to do it or refuse to do it, BS is min 3 mm.And big tiles not help!

Simons70

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
1200x600x10mm Porcelain tile, Ref Precious – Approx 458m2
1200x600x10mm Porcelain tile, Ref Pietra Reale – Approx. 234m2
1200x300x10mm Porcelain tile, Ref Precious – Approx 258m2
Black Granite to Entrance
100x100 tiles with Brass inlay to both sides
Waterjet cut feature with Brass Inlay
1200x300x10mm Porcelain tile, Ref Pietra Reale – Approx 58m2

R

Rookery

If the spec says 2mm that's how I'd do it. BS minimum 3mm is a guideline however the tiles have got to be bob on.

Simons70

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
The problem is 2 mm spaces,the job is with mixed tiles laid on ditra with expansion. All is nice and easy in the drawing....

IMG_0833.JPG

J

Joseph Kover

We have to start a Harolds Shop in Heatrow,big area (over 1000 sqm) and just receive the details:
''Please see setting out drawing for Harrods,
Please note 2mm grout lines, the project has been set out as this''
I don't know if is right to do it or refuse to do it, BS is min 3 mm.And big tiles not help!
Won't be an easy one, good luck mate
Nice project though
On paper everything is easy :)

GAZ5518

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Nice Big Job.. Hopefully for you tiles are spot on for size.. As u know 2mm is tight and doesn't give you much leeway.. Could suggest 3mm and explain why (variation in size)
I would...enjoy the Airport.

S

SJPurdy

The set out of 2mm grout lines is dependant on the tiles actually being spot on 1200, 600, 300mm dimensions. if the tiles are 1mm less then the joints will be 3mm to keep the same drawing set out; if the tiles come larger than spec then the designer may need to have a rethink.
As stated earlier the BS 3mm is a recommendation which it is wise not to exceed (i.e. go less than) unless someone else suitably qualified is taking the responsibility - presumably the architect/designer in this case.

U

Unused Account 1

Use 3mm to give yourself a better chance ,they wont realize,unless you have a start point ,if used cad cam,will change some of the cuts over that size area

Reply to 2mm grout lines floor 1200x600x10mm Porcelain tile in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks